Time for Another Party! Oskana|not Tedve|l Dabolnea!

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
      Hi everyone!

      It's time to celebrate again! Back on the 23th of March 2012 I had sent an
      email celebrating the addition of the 200th lexeme to the Moten dictionary.
      Today, just 1 year, 5 months and 25 days later, I've reached the next
      milestone: the Moten dictionary now contains exactly 500 entries! That's
      300 lexemes added in that time, i.e. on average about 1.1 word created
      every 2 days! Quite a feat given how I always agonise over each word added!

      I must admit that last year's Lexember and the one currently running helped
      a lot in reaching that stage that quickly!

      Back then, the 200 lexemes corresponded to 343 glosses. That ratio has
      changed a lot, as the current 500 lexemes correspond now to 1272 glosses!
      (i.e. on average 2.5 glosses per word. Polysemy is king here!) To be fair,
      I did add glosses to existing words, to make their semantic domains more
      well defined and make clearer, where needed, how specific Moten words
      differ from their translations.

      Now, what is this 500th entry in the dictionary? It's the stem _ugejuge_,
      used in the intranitive verb _jugejugej_: "to step, to walk", but also as a
      noun _ugejuge_: "walk, stroll, hike". Once again, it's a very good example
      of how much care I put in creating vocabulary in Moten:

      _ugejuge_, despite its shape, is not onomatopoeic in nature (the
      onomatopoeia for the sound of footsteps in Moten is _pakipak_). Rather,
      it's the reduplication of _uge_ (499th lexeme in the dictionary ;)): "step,
      pace; footstep; stage, phase" (basically all the senses of English "step",
      except that _uge_ cannot refer to the steps of a ladder). Reduplication, in
      this case, has a sense of "all of the X". Basically, a "walk" is a complete
      collection of "steps" :). The verb, then, is just derived from the noun
      through zero-derivation (a not extremely common but not unknown method of
      deriving verbs from nouns).
      As indicated by the glosses, _uge_ has a literal meaning of "paces,
      footsteps", but also a figurative meaning: "phase, stage". This extends to
      _ugejuge_ as well, which besides "walk, stroll" also means "list of steps,
      list of instructions", and to the verb _jugejugej_, which can mean "to step
      (through a list of instructions)".
      Note also that _jugejugej_ only means "to walk" in the sense of "to perform
      the physical activity of walking, to pace, to step". There's another verb
      _ibnamagi_ (literally "to foot-go") for the sense of "to travel on foot".
      To illustrate the difference, the sentence "my boy could already walk when
      he was 10 months old" would use _jugejugej_, while the sentence "I'm
      walking to the mall, do you need anything?" would need _ibnamagi_ instead.
      _ibnamagi_ also contrasts with _jemagi_ (literally "to river-go"), which
      means "to travel using some mode of transportation (other than one's feet)"
      (and not only "to sail", unlike what its etymology indicates). There is no
      generic word for "to travel". If necessary, one can used simply _jagi_: "to
      go".

      So there, Moten's 500th lexeme is _ugejuge_. And incidentally, this
      milestone coincides with St Hildegard's Day, patron saint of language
      creators! If that's not worth at least a small party I don't know what is!

      Finally, about the post title:

      For the 200th word milestone, the post title was _Teoskananvoti Dabolnea_:
      "the time for a celebration". This one _Oskana|not Tedve|l Dabolnea_ simply
      means "the time for another celebration". Here's the interlinear:

      oskana|not tedve|l dabolnea
      oskana|not te-t<v>el-i daboln<e>a
      celebration FIN-other<GEN.SG>-GEN moment-<ART>

      Besides the ever-present surdéclinaison (the adverbial phrase _oskana|not
      tetel_: "for another celebration" is over-inflected in the genitive case so
      as to be able to modify the noun phrase _dabolnea_: "the moment"), this
      phrase also illustrate how in Moten inflections appear at phrase rather
      than word level (inflections of the phrase _oskana|not tel_: "another
      celebration" only appear on the last word of the phrase, here the noun used
      as adjective _tel_: "other", rather than on the phrase head or all the
      words of the phrase).

      Cheers,
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

      http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
    • Padraic Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
        Chapeau! Congratulations on reaching the big 5-0-0!

        But, what is this Lexember you mention?

        Funny: " basically all the senses of English "step",
        except that _uge_ cannot refer to the steps of a ladder "
        because, at least in my English, ladders don't have steps
        at all. They have rungs. Stepladders do have steps, though,
        but only three or four. Much more than that and the thing
        morphs into a propper ladder with rungs. :))

        " "walk" is a complete collection of "steps" " That I like.

        Padraic

        Subject: Time for Another Party! Oskana|not Tedve|l Dabolnea!
        To: CONLANG@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
          Hi everyone!

          Now, what is this 500th entry in the dictionary? It's the stem _ugejuge_,
          used in the intranitive verb _jugejugej_: "to step, to walk", but also as a
          noun _ugejuge_: "walk, stroll, hike". Once again, it's a very good example
          of how much care I put in creating vocabulary in Moten:
          _______________________________________

          The Senjecan word that I had for ‘stroll’‘ was a compound of two verbs which I found very cumbersome. So, being inspired by Christophe’s message, I decided to form it in another way. Senjecas has two prefixes for diminutives, “-k-“ and “-l-“. All Senjecan verb roots are monosyllabic, of the form (C)(V)VC-. If I add a diminutive suffix to the verb root, I can convey the idea of gently, easily, leisurely, partially, etc. Thus, “néða”, walk, can be changed to “néðla”, stroll. The speakers of Senjecas prefer “-l-“ to “-k-“, but “-k-“ would be used to avoid a geminate consonant: “dila”, disclose, reveal, manifest > “dilka”, hint, imply, insinuate. Lenition may be necessary: “tééda”, burn [of the sun] > “tééðla”, tan.
          BTW, “hike” is translated by a compound verb that I don’t find so cumbersome: “ȝúta”, wander, and néða”, walk, > ȝuþnéða”.
          Charlie
        • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
            On 17 September 2013 18:07, Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...> wrote:

            > Chapeau! Congratulations on reaching the big 5-0-0!

            Thanks! I didn't think I'd get there so quickly!

            > But, what is this Lexember you mention?

            Read this:
            http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.nl/2013/01/lexember-month-of-moten-words.htmland
            this:
            http://fantasticaldevices.blogspot.nl/2012/11/lexember.html for more
            information. Basically it was an idea of Mia Soderquist and Pete Bleackley:
            for a month, create one word per day for your conlang(s), and post it on
            Twitter with the hashtag #Lexember, and on Google+ (and maybe on Facebook,
            but as I'm not there I can't tell if there's also a #Lexember thread
            there). The first Lexember event was last year in December, and since the
            1st of September we've been running the second Lexember month :). It's a
            fun and playful way to increase one's conlang's vocabulary and close
            semantic gaps. As everyone post their words as they create them, we can
            inspire each other with new words we wouldn't have thought about otherwise
            :).

            > Funny: " basically all the senses of English "step",
            > except that _uge_ cannot refer to the steps of a ladder "
            > because, at least in my English, ladders don't have steps
            > at all. They have rungs.

            Funny, Wiktionary gives as first definition for "rung": "A crosspiece
            forming a _step of a ladder_; a round" (emphasis mine). So at least some
            people have ladders with steps :). I know that's the word I learned (I
            don't think I've ever heard the word "rung" before, at least not in this
            context). Maybe a British vs. American English thing, or something more
            complicated again...

            Then again, things tend to get complicated with those things. I mean,
            "stair" seems to be able to mean either a single step in a staircase or an
            entire staircase depending on the speaker!

            > Stepladders do have steps, though,
            > but only three or four. Much more than that and the thing
            > morphs into a propper ladder with rungs. :))

            Well, some people like their ladders simple and just populate them with
            steps :P. I'll try to remember the word "rung". Since in Moten _uge_
            doesn't refer to the steps of a ladder (or a stepladder), once I've defined
            the word for that in Moten, I'll have to remember to gloss it as "rung" as
            well ;).

            > " "walk" is a complete collection of "steps" " That I like.

            It does kinda make sense, doesn't it? :P

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
              When I use "stair" to mean the staircase or the flight of stairs, I use it in the plural, as in upstairs, downstairs. He climbed the stairs to his bedroom.
              Charlie

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
                > From: C. Brickner <tepeyachill@...>

                > When I use "stair" to mean the staircase or the flight of stairs, I use it in the plural,

                I have certainly done that. Although the singular "stair" can also apply to the whole staircase.
                "Go up the stairs and turn right" kind of thing.

                > as in upstairs, downstairs.

                Now here, these I take as adverbs (the old adverbial genitive), indicative of motion
                along (i.e. moving along the stair in an upward direction) or else place at which (i.e.
                being in an upper level of the building). Which depends on the verb used.

                > He climbed the stairs to his bedroom.

                Yes.

                Sorry Christophe! Didn't realise stairs and ladders would be so complicated an issue!

                Padraic

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
                  >> But, what is this Lexember you mention?

                  > Basically it was an idea of Mia Soderquist and Pete Bleackley:
                  > for a month, create one word per day for your conlang(s), and post it on
                  > Twitter with the hashtag #Lexember, and on Google+ (and maybe on Facebook,
                  > but as I'm not there I can't tell if there's also a #Lexember thread
                  > there).

                  Ah, thank you for the explanation!

                  >> Funny: " basically all the senses of English "step",
                  >> except that _uge_ cannot refer to the steps of a ladder "
                  >> because, at least in my English, ladders don't have steps
                  >> at all. They have rungs.
                  >

                  > Funny, Wiktionary gives as first definition for "rung": "A
                  > crosspiece
                  > forming a _step of a ladder_; a round" (emphasis mine). So at least some
                  > people have ladders with steps :).

                  Huh. Sòme people will say any old thing! ;) Seriously, I'd understand what they mean,
                  but it sounds funny all the same.

                  > I know that's the word I learned (I
                  > don't think I've ever heard the word "rung" before, at least
                  > not in this
                  > context). Maybe a British vs. American English thing, or something more
                  > complicated again...
                  >
                  > Then again, things tend to get complicated with those things. I mean,
                  > "stair" seems to be able to mean either a single step in a staircase
                  > or an entire staircase depending on the speaker!

                  Indeed! Then again, not all things with steps are stairs or staircases as such. We've
                  also got stoops, stepstones, doorsteps, back steps (and front steps), all of which may
                  have an indeterminate number of steps (perhaps one to four or five). I wouldn't call
                  any of those things "stairs". But any more than that and I'd say they become stairs proper.

                  >> " "walk" is a complete collection of "steps"
                  > " That I like.
                  >
                  > It does kinda make sense, doesn't it? :P

                  Indeed! After all, a "walk" is the entire set or collection of individual steps taken during the
                  official duration of the walk, as opposed to all the steps (and missteps) one may take in a
                  day and perhaps also excluding any steps one may take on a side adventure into for example
                  a book shop or diner that are not, strictly speaking, part of the "walk" itself!

                  Padraic

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
                    On 17 September 2013 21:05, C. Brickner <tepeyachill@...> wrote:

                    > The Senjecan word that I had for ‘stroll’‘ was a compound of two verbs
                    > which I found very cumbersome. So, being inspired by Christophe’s message,
                    > I decided to form it in another way. Senjecas has two prefixes for
                    > diminutives, “-k-“ and “-l-“. All Senjecan verb roots are monosyllabic, of
                    > the form (C)(V)VC-. If I add a diminutive suffix to the verb root, I can
                    > convey the idea of gently, easily, leisurely, partially, etc. Thus,
                    > “néða”, walk, can be changed to “néðla”, stroll. The speakers of Senjecas
                    > prefer “-l-“ to “-k-“, but “-k-“ would be used to avoid a geminate
                    > consonant: “dila”, disclose, reveal, manifest > “dilka”, hint, imply,
                    > insinuate. Lenition may be necessary: “tééda”, burn [of the sun] >
                    > “tééðla”, tan.
                    > BTW, “hike” is translated by a compound verb that I don’t find so
                    > cumbersome: “ȝúta”, wander, and néða”, walk, > ȝuþnéða”.
                    > Charlie

                    Actually, I like this idea a lot, especially since, like Senjecas, Moten
                    allows diminutive suffixes on verbs too (the diminutive suffix _-sin_ can
                    be used on both nouns and verbs, unlike _-mas_ and _-zes_ which can only be
                    used on nouns –or rather can only *result* in nouns–), as in for instance
                    _jeksi|n_: "to brush past" from _jeksaj_: "to touch, to hit". So I decided
                    to shamelessly copy you and created the verb _jugzi|n_: "to stroll, to talk
                    a walk", diminutive of _jugejugej_: "to walk". They are also used
                    nominally: while _ugejuge_ can mean "stroll", it's usually more generic and
                    means "walk", while _ugzin_ is more specifically "stroll, leisurely walk".
                    You get inspired by me, and I get inspired back by you, the circle is
                    complete! :)

                    I love this list :P.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 19, 2013
                      >> If I add a diminutive suffix to the verb root, I can convey the idea of gently,
                      >> easily, leisurely, partially, etc.  Thus, “néða”, walk, can be changed to “néðla”,
                      >> stroll.
                      >
                      >Actually, I like this idea a lot, especially since, like Senjecas, Moten
                      >allows diminutive suffixes on verbs too (the diminutive suffix _-sin_ can
                      >be used on both nouns and verbs, unlike _-mas_ and _-zes_ which can only be
                      >used on nouns –or rather can only *result* in nouns–), as in for instance
                      >_jeksi|n_: "to brush past" from _jeksaj_: "to touch, to hit".

                      Neat. I've gotten my wife to do this in Waray-Waray a bit too. I'll say
                      mahagcotcito for it's a bit chilly or pagtaktaktito or pagmartilito for tap.

                      > So I decided
                      >to shamelessly copy you and created the verb _jugzi|n_: "to stroll, to talk
                      >a walk",

                      Take a walk or actually talk a walk? ;)

                      >diminutive of _jugejugej_: "to walk". They are also used
                      >nominally: while _ugejuge_ can mean "stroll", it's usually more generic and
                      >means "walk", while _ugzin_ is more specifically "stroll, leisurely walk".
                      >You get inspired by me, and I get inspired back by you, the circle is
                      >complete! :)

                      Funny how these threads weave all throughout our experiences. When we say

                      gusto mo pagsyadita, that's asking if you want to go for a stroll. Going for a
                      walk, of course, is pagwawalk.

                      Of course, all of these have some kind of Spanish diminutive: -tito, -cito and
                      the like.

                      Padraic

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 19, 2013
                        I love this list :P.