Re: WordPress Dictionary Question

  • Padraic Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16 9:46 AM
      > While, I, on the other hand, get quite frustrated with those who DON'T

      > break their dictionaries up by letter (or letter range for smaller
      > dictionaries).  You will never please everyone.  Do what works for you.
      > Some will be pleased.  Some will be annoyed.  Most will not care one way
      > or the other.

      Or better yet, just take a page from the scholars of the ancient Orrick Empire:
      their language, while written, had no standardised spelling (and for that matter,
      no single standardised alphabet or syllabary) and no sort order of any kind.

      This of course didn't stop scholars from writing dictionaries — not one bit!
      Words, which in their language could be roughly equal to our words, phrases,
      affixes or even complete thoughts, were indeed carefully examined by panels of
      wise men who would devise "commentaries" on the words being defined. These
      commentaries come somewhat in the form of mishnah, and generally take the
      form "Scholar Sowunsow aw Hamadar said of the word kmardam the following
      couplet: a mighty ash at the hands of Smagdar (a legendary woodsman), a mighty
      foe at the hands of Langgav aw Wladerar (an ancient warrior-hero)."

      The dictionary of their language was largely compiled by what has come to be
      known as the Eight Scholars of Wando the Mystical, and was simply added to
      in whatever order the spirits guided the scholars to work. The work done, scholars
      in after years would have to consult the dictionary, either to plumb the depths of
      ancient wisdom or else perhaps to divine the will of the spirits. There being no
      sort order, the libraries where the great multi-volume dictionaries were kept relied
      on junior learners to do the actual looking up of words. For example, when Scholar
      Wu entered the House of the Dictionary and asked for the commentaries on the
      word "kmardam", the Head Keeper would call out to the juniors: "The esteemed
      scholar Wu, word kmardam!" And the juniors who were not otherwise already
      looking up words would quickly scan each of their assigned volumes, page by page.
      First one junior would call out "Esteemed scholar Wu! Scholar Sowunsow aw
      Hamadar said...!" and a scribe would jot down what Sowunsow said. There might
      be two or three scholars researching words at the same time, so another junior might
      call out almost simultaneously: "Master Reshet! Scholar Avam says...!" And the
      scribe would note that down. But soon a third junior might call out: "Esteemed
      scholar Wu! Scholar Summuwan said...!" and so forth until no further elucidation was
      forthcoming.

      Just think about those poor patient scholars of Orr before moaning and whining about
      your dictionary arrangements here! ;)

      And, in case you were wondering, "kmardam" does indeed mean "cease from
      standing", as I'm sure was obvious from Sowunsow's commentary!

      Padraic

      > Adam
      >

      > On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM, A. Mendes <andrewtmendes@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Hey, good to know. Good point.
      >> On Sep 14, 2013 2:02 PM, "Aidan Grey"
      > <taalenmaple@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > Well, not HATE the person, but the page. I won't visit those pages
      > at
      >> all.
      >> >

      >> > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Aidan Grey
      > <taalenmaple@...>

      >> don't
      > 5 or 6
      >> > pages.
      > to use.

      > <andrewtmendes@...

      > WordPress
      >> blog

      > how it
      >> can
      >> > be

    • Padraic Brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17 3:56 AM
        I guess in the absence of actual Junior Learners, keeping it all on one page until
        unruly is a fine solution! I'm not familiar with Wordpress — is there no way to use
        the old CTRL+F search function (or Mac/Linux analog)? Even with multiple dictionary
        pages to search through and no idea what the conlang's word for "cottage cheese"
        might be, it's really not that difficult to whip through each of those pages looking for it.
        This dóes become tedious if I have a lot of words to look up, mind, but far from
        impossible or even insurmountably difficult.

        Padraic