Re: WordPress Dictionary Question

  • Aidan Grey
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
      Well, not HATE the person, but the page. I won't visit those pages at all.

      On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Aidan Grey <taalenmaple@...> wrote:

      > I personally HATE anyone who splits the dictionary up, because if I don't
      > know exactly what I'm looking for, I have to guess and visit 5 or 6 pages.
      > One page, especially image light, for everything is MUCH easier to use.
      >

      > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM, A. Mendes <andrewtmendes@...>wrote:
      >
      >> Hi Everyone,
      >>
      >> Quick question about dictionaries. I want one on my free WordPress blog
      >> and
      >> wonder what's the best way to go about it.
      >>
      >> Right now, it's a page with everything 'A to Z'.
      >>
      >> Would it be better to have each entry it's own post?
      >>
      >> Or maybe each letter it's own page?
      >>
      >> Anyone have experience with this and know the pros n cons of how it can be
      >> done?
      >>
      >> Thanks all, Happy Saturday/Monday
      >>
      >> Andrew

    • A. Mendes
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 15, 2013
        Hey, good to know. Good point.
        On Sep 14, 2013 2:02 PM, "Aidan Grey" <taalenmaple@...> wrote:

        > Well, not HATE the person, but the page. I won't visit those pages at all.
        >

        > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Aidan Grey <taalenmaple@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I personally HATE anyone who splits the dictionary up, because if I don't
        > > know exactly what I'm looking for, I have to guess and visit 5 or 6
        > pages.
        > > One page, especially image light, for everything is MUCH easier to use.
        > >

        > > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM, A. Mendes <andrewtmendes@...
        > >wrote:
        > >
        > >> Hi Everyone,
        > >>
        > >> Quick question about dictionaries. I want one on my free WordPress blog
        > >> and
        > >> wonder what's the best way to go about it.
        > >>
        > >> Right now, it's a page with everything 'A to Z'.
        > >>
        > >> Would it be better to have each entry it's own post?
        > >>
        > >> Or maybe each letter it's own page?
        > >>
        > >> Anyone have experience with this and know the pros n cons of how it can
        > be
        > >> done?
        > >>
        > >> Thanks all, Happy Saturday/Monday
        > >>
        > >> Andrew

      • Adam Walker
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 16, 2013
          While, I, on the other hand, get quite frustrated with those who DON'T
          break their dictionaries up by letter (or letter range for smaller
          dictionaries). You will never please everyone. Do what works for you.
          Some will be pleased. Some will be annoyed. Most will not care one way
          or the other.

          Adam

          On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM, A. Mendes <andrewtmendes@...> wrote:

          > Hey, good to know. Good point.
          > On Sep 14, 2013 2:02 PM, "Aidan Grey" <taalenmaple@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Well, not HATE the person, but the page. I won't visit those pages at
          > all.
          > >

          > > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Aidan Grey <taalenmaple@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > > I personally HATE anyone who splits the dictionary up, because if I
          > don't
          > > > know exactly what I'm looking for, I have to guess and visit 5 or 6
          > > pages.
          > > > One page, especially image light, for everything is MUCH easier to use.

          > blog

          > can
          > > be

        • Allison Swenson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 16, 2013
            If you're going to break it up, then at least have a good search function!

            I think, just in general, if you only have a small lexicon, there's no
            reason to split it up. It would only make it very difficult to find words.
            But if you have a fairly extensive lexicon, then one page would quickly
            become difficult to use, in which case splitting it up would probably be
            appropriate. So I think it very much depends on your needs and the extent
            of your lexicon.
            And I really am not in favor of a separate post for each word--that's just
            way, way too much! If a word has a particularly complex history, meaning,
            or usage, you perhaps could link from the main dictionary page to a
            supplementary post, but I don't think it'd be necessary for all words.

            On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:

            > While, I, on the other hand, get quite frustrated with those who DON'T
            > break their dictionaries up by letter (or letter range for smaller
            > dictionaries). You will never please everyone. Do what works for you.
            > Some will be pleased. Some will be annoyed. Most will not care one way
            > or the other.
            >
            > Adam
            >

            > On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM, A. Mendes <andrewtmendes@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Hey, good to know. Good point.
            > > On Sep 14, 2013 2:02 PM, "Aidan Grey" <taalenmaple@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Well, not HATE the person, but the page. I won't visit those pages at
            > > all.

            > > don't
            > > > pages.
            > use.

            > > blog

            > > can
            > > > be

          • Padraic Brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 16, 2013
              > While, I, on the other hand, get quite frustrated with those who DON'T

              > break their dictionaries up by letter (or letter range for smaller
              > dictionaries).  You will never please everyone.  Do what works for you.
              > Some will be pleased.  Some will be annoyed.  Most will not care one way
              > or the other.

              Or better yet, just take a page from the scholars of the ancient Orrick Empire:
              their language, while written, had no standardised spelling (and for that matter,
              no single standardised alphabet or syllabary) and no sort order of any kind.

              This of course didn't stop scholars from writing dictionaries — not one bit!
              Words, which in their language could be roughly equal to our words, phrases,
              affixes or even complete thoughts, were indeed carefully examined by panels of
              wise men who would devise "commentaries" on the words being defined. These
              commentaries come somewhat in the form of mishnah, and generally take the
              form "Scholar Sowunsow aw Hamadar said of the word kmardam the following
              couplet: a mighty ash at the hands of Smagdar (a legendary woodsman), a mighty
              foe at the hands of Langgav aw Wladerar (an ancient warrior-hero)."

              The dictionary of their language was largely compiled by what has come to be
              known as the Eight Scholars of Wando the Mystical, and was simply added to
              in whatever order the spirits guided the scholars to work. The work done, scholars
              in after years would have to consult the dictionary, either to plumb the depths of
              ancient wisdom or else perhaps to divine the will of the spirits. There being no
              sort order, the libraries where the great multi-volume dictionaries were kept relied
              on junior learners to do the actual looking up of words. For example, when Scholar
              Wu entered the House of the Dictionary and asked for the commentaries on the
              word "kmardam", the Head Keeper would call out to the juniors: "The esteemed
              scholar Wu, word kmardam!" And the juniors who were not otherwise already
              looking up words would quickly scan each of their assigned volumes, page by page.
              First one junior would call out "Esteemed scholar Wu! Scholar Sowunsow aw
              Hamadar said...!" and a scribe would jot down what Sowunsow said. There might
              be two or three scholars researching words at the same time, so another junior might
              call out almost simultaneously: "Master Reshet! Scholar Avam says...!" And the
              scribe would note that down. But soon a third junior might call out: "Esteemed
              scholar Wu! Scholar Summuwan said...!" and so forth until no further elucidation was
              forthcoming.

              Just think about those poor patient scholars of Orr before moaning and whining about
              your dictionary arrangements here! ;)

              And, in case you were wondering, "kmardam" does indeed mean "cease from
              standing", as I'm sure was obvious from Sowunsow's commentary!

              Padraic

              > Adam
              >

              > On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM, A. Mendes <andrewtmendes@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> Hey, good to know. Good point.
              >> On Sep 14, 2013 2:02 PM, "Aidan Grey"
              > <taalenmaple@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> > Well, not HATE the person, but the page. I won't visit those pages
              > at
              >> all.
              >> >

              >> > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Aidan Grey
              > <taalenmaple@...>

              >> don't
              > 5 or 6
              >> > pages.
              > to use.

              > <andrewtmendes@...

              > WordPress
              >> blog

              > how it
              >> can
              >> > be

            • Padraic Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013
                I guess in the absence of actual Junior Learners, keeping it all on one page until
                unruly is a fine solution! I'm not familiar with Wordpress — is there no way to use
                the old CTRL+F search function (or Mac/Linux analog)? Even with multiple dictionary
                pages to search through and no idea what the conlang's word for "cottage cheese"
                might be, it's really not that difficult to whip through each of those pages looking for it.
                This dóes become tedious if I have a lot of words to look up, mind, but far from
                impossible or even insurmountably difficult.

                Padraic