Re: Adposition length (was: Re: Ṫirdonic, my first serious conlang)

  • Anthony Miles
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2013
      >Having said that, though, it's true that not *all* Russian prepositions
      >are single consonants; a good number remain CV (e.g., по, на, до), VC
      >(из/ис, от), and there's also CVC (под) as well as CCV and CCVC (при,
      >пре, пред < перед, the latter of which are actively used in both forms,
      >one being just an abbreviation of the other). The single-consonant
      >prepositions в, с, к also still have CV reflexes under certain
      >phonological conditions, reflecting their origin, for example:

      Postpositions in Siye are all two or three syllables, of which the first portion is the original noun, and the second portion, the ultimate syllable, is the locative case ending from the triad -kim/-tu/-sum (locative/allative/ablative). Note that the case endings for nouns in the locative system vary slightly from the above: -kem/-su/-sum. Monosyllabic postpositions tend to fuse with the preceding case ending and create new cases (-ne + to > -neto ABESSIVE, -ne + emtu > -nemtu ILLATIVE). The bisyllabic postpositions that do not create new cases are consonant-initial (-ne + tekim 'above', -ne tetu 'upwards', -ne tesum 'from above). A few postpositions are trisyllabic (pempetu, pempesum).

      i leneto itupusuna! He went without me!
      laye silinemtu itupusuna. The woman entered the house.
      tupilo sakipone tekim imilonama. The birds were flying above the lake.
      tupilo sakipone tetu imilonana. The birds took off from the lake.
      leya leme lupatene pempetu itupusuna. My daughter went beyond the mountain.
      lene pempesum limposu elesupummuma. I will allow the fear the fear to pass over me.