Re: Anglicizing Your Conlang's Autoglottonym

    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 9, 2013
      On 09/09/2013 20:32, Tony Harris wrote:
      > On 2013-09-09 15:23, R A Brown wrote:
      [snip]

      >> Yes, but Jan van Steenbergen stuck to his name "Hattic"
      >> for the fictional IE language of the legendary "Hats"
      >> of the erstwhile USSR, though he subsequently
      >> discovered that there was already a non-IE language
      >> called "Hattic" spoken in Asia minor in the 3rd & 3nd
      >> millennia BC.
      >> http://steen.free.fr/khadurian/hattic_grammar.html
      >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattic_language
      >>
      >> IIRC Jan considered that the vast time difference and
      >> the quite different locations would mean no one but an
      >> idiot would think they were the same or even connected
      >> ;)
      >
      > Very true! On the other hand, of course, the ancient
      > Asian speakers of non-IE Hattic are probably unlikely to
      > have a bevy of lawyers prowling for the slightest hint
      > of copyright infringement.

      True :)

      > The same, I suspect, cannot be said for Paramount.

      Sounds as tho Paramount should be renamed Paranoia.

      [snip]

      >> I think Aluric showed up enough on this list to show
      >> that Paramount would not have had any grounds for such
      >> nonsense.
      >
      > True, it definitely did. On the other hand, I was unsure
      > enough, and then there's the fact that they have that
      > bevy of lawyers, while I would have been hardpressed to
      > afford one. Alas, from what I've seen fairness and logic
      > aren't always what decide such cases.

      If you get a good judge and lawyers it can, but indeed one
      can never be certain when things go to law - but sadly, as I
      know only two well from a recent case where a group I belong
      to took on greedy developers, even if you win your case it
      can cost you very considerably in lawyers fees etc.

      I just hate seeing greedy, paranoid corporations bullying
      everyone :(

      On 10/09/2013 03:35, Herman Miller wrote:
      [snip]

      > Tirelat is just an Anglicized version of "tirëłat"
      > [ˈtiɾəɬat].

      Good - I got the stress right on that one :)

      > Since there's nothing like a lateral fricative in
      > English, I'm stuck with a plain /l/ or something like
      > "thl",

      'thl' - ach-y-fi!

      On this island we're used to seeing _ll_ in welsh names even
      if a lot of anglophones give it funny pronunciations. You
      could go the whole Welsh way and have _Tiryllat_ ;)

      Tho the downside is that Welsh is stressed on the
      penultimate syllable - darn!

      > and "Tirethlat" doesn't look like the first syllable
      > should have the stress.

      Tho IMO _Tirelhat_ or _Tirehlat_ would be OK.

      > Stress is one of the big problems even with natlang names
      > in English. (How would you pronounce Tagalog or Malayalam
      > if you didn't know what syllable the stress is on?)

      True. I regularly stressed the wrong syllable in Devanagari
      in my young days till I learnt otherwise.

      Any postings from me over the next few days might be a bit
      erratic. I shall be jetting off over the Pond later this
      morning. We're visiting our daughter in Somerville MA for a
      few days. I will look at my emails from time to time, but
      will have to rely on webmail to reply.

      Ciao!

      for individual beings and events."
    • Anthony Miles
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 10, 2013
        If you were a human Neo-Victorian explorer of the late 22nd century in the Earth-Jungle-Lord cosm where my Martian languages are spoken, you would Anglicize the language name Siye as Sheeyay, Sheeyei, etc., Ulok as Oolock or Ooloak. The Russian Orthodox would use Shiye and Ulok. Utu Nes is Ootoo Ness, Ootooness, etc., or Utu. The autoglottonym of the language of the Southern highlands is not yet known.

        Current provisional transliteration scheme from Siye classical spelling (the written style) to pronunciation spelling:

        pu = fu
        pi = shchi, schi
        tu = tsu, zu
        ku = hu
        ki = chi
        si = shi
        -~p m w= -mp, -mm, -mw
        -~t n y= -nt, -nn-, -ny
        -~k h = -ngk, -ng-
        -~l = -ll-
        -~s = -ss

        w = v

        Thus Simakim, the Pale of Siye-speakers, becomes Shimaching, and kemhusakinem 'the shore district' becomes Kengusachineng. In my notes, the English text calls the ancient holy city Vipakang, while the Siye comments use Wipakam.

        On a personal note, if someone is pronouncing the name of my conlang wrong, it means she knows it exists. More than I dare to hope most of the time. People who care about pronunciation can go read the FrathWiki page.