Anglicizing Your Conlang's Autoglottonym

  • Zach Wellstood
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 8 7:24 PM
      Hi all,

      (if this has been discussed elsewhere, please link me. I haven't seen it.)

      I haven't ever had an anglicized autoglottonym for my conlang, łaá siri,
      but recently I've been considering coining one. Not only is it unwieldy to
      type that ​<ł>, but saying it to those who don't understand sounds of other
      languages is too: /ɬɑꜛɑ siri/.

      I don't think that an English translation would sound right ("Language of
      the Sky People"?). Too long-winded and RPG-sounding for my purposes.

      So I think the best way is to decide on a name like Siric (which wouldn't
      make sense in the conlang, really, but is an option) or maybe Lhaa
      (pronounced like /laa/). Maybe just retaining it as Lhaa Siri but, to be
      honest, it's aesthetically unappealing to me (kind of a butchery with my
      knowledge of the language).

      But how have others done this? It seems quite complicated to me.

      Best,
      Zach

      raa'lalí 'aa! - [sirisaá! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlang>]
    • Anthony Miles
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 10 10:18 AM
        If you were a human Neo-Victorian explorer of the late 22nd century in the Earth-Jungle-Lord cosm where my Martian languages are spoken, you would Anglicize the language name Siye as Sheeyay, Sheeyei, etc., Ulok as Oolock or Ooloak. The Russian Orthodox would use Shiye and Ulok. Utu Nes is Ootoo Ness, Ootooness, etc., or Utu. The autoglottonym of the language of the Southern highlands is not yet known.

        Current provisional transliteration scheme from Siye classical spelling (the written style) to pronunciation spelling:

        pu = fu
        pi = shchi, schi
        tu = tsu, zu
        ku = hu
        ki = chi
        si = shi
        -~p m w= -mp, -mm, -mw
        -~t n y= -nt, -nn-, -ny
        -~k h = -ngk, -ng-
        -~l = -ll-
        -~s = -ss

        w = v

        Thus Simakim, the Pale of Siye-speakers, becomes Shimaching, and kemhusakinem 'the shore district' becomes Kengusachineng. In my notes, the English text calls the ancient holy city Vipakang, while the Siye comments use Wipakam.

        On a personal note, if someone is pronouncing the name of my conlang wrong, it means she knows it exists. More than I dare to hope most of the time. People who care about pronunciation can go read the FrathWiki page.