Re: Audio language game

  • Leonardo Castro
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2013
      First try, score 450.

      Até mais!

      Leonardo

      2013/9/7 Herman Miller <hmiller@...>:
      > On 9/7/2013 9:48 AM, Douglas Koller wrote:
      >>

      >>> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 20:11:14 -0400
      >>> From: phil@...
      >>> Subject: Audio language game
      >>> To: CONLANG@...
      >>

      >>> Has anyone here tried this game?
      >>

      >>> http://greatlanguagegame.com/
      >>

      >> Fun stuff! Though, it seemed like if Norwegian was an option, it was
      >> always Norwegian. :)
      >>
      >> Kou
      >

      > I keep guessing wrong on Samoan. Next time I don't recognize a language,
      > I'll guess Samoan.
    • Sam Stutter
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
        850 in one attempt - but, then again "guessing what language someone speaks" has always been by unique (and utterly useless) superpower. I'd prefer my superpower to be flying, but hey.

        Sam Stutter
        samjjs89@...
        "No e na'l cu barri"

        On 8 Sep 2013, at 01:59, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:

        > First try, score 450.
        >
        > Até mais!
        >
        > Leonardo

        >>> Fun stuff! Though, it seemed like if Norwegian was an option, it was
        >>> always Norwegian. :)
        >>>
        >>> Kou
        >>

        >> I keep guessing wrong on Samoan. Next time I don't recognize a language,
        >> I'll guess Samoan.
      • Herman Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
          On 9/8/2013 4:14 AM, Sam Stutter wrote:
          > 850 in one attempt - but, then again "guessing what language someone speaks" has always been by unique (and utterly useless) superpower. I'd prefer my superpower to be flying, but hey.

          I've had over 1000 a couple of times, but it gets hard pretty quickly.
          My last score was 1350. I missed Turkish, Dari, and Assyrian. It would
          be interesting to see the data on which languages are mistaken for which
          other languages most often. There'd be a lot of noise from random
          guessing, though.

          If anyone is inspired to do a conlang guessing game, I've got a few
          samples you could use. Or would it be better to record new text?
        • Larry Sulky
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
            Huh. And here I've been wishing I could trade my flying superpower for a
            language detection superpower. Isn't that always the way?!

            --
            *Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day I
            can hear her breathing. -- Arundhati Roy*