Re: Fwd: RE: Audio language game

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2013
      I heard one clip three times in a row.
      I played it for a couple of hours one day recently. My high score was
      around 900.

      stevo

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013
        From: Ph. D. <phil@...>

        > Has anyone here tried this game?

        > http://greatlanguagegame.com/

        Fun stuff! Though, it seemed like if Norwegian was an option, it was
        always Norwegian. :)
        Do they change the language clips every time someone plays? I didn't encounter Norwegian at all in my most recent run-through. Ashamed to say, I only scored a measly 450. I missed Malay (wha????) but got Indonesian. Dinka was popular on that test.
      • Herman Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013
          On 9/8/2013 11:44 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
          > From: Ph. D.<phil@...>
          >

          >> Has anyone here tried this game?
          >
          >> http://greatlanguagegame.com/
          >
          > Fun stuff! Though, it seemed like if Norwegian was an option, it was
          > always Norwegian. :) ============================================= Do
          > they change the language clips every time someone plays? I didn't
          > encounter Norwegian at all in my most recent run-through. Ashamed to
          > say, I only scored a measly 450. I missed Malay (wha????) but got
          > Indonesian. Dinka was popular on that test.

          It could be random, but I just got stumped on Icelandic and that's the
          first time I had that one in the game. I guessed Scottish Gaelic.

          I frequently get Dinka wrong. It's a hard language to place. Nothing
          about it sounds familiar, but it has a vaguely Asian style to it, so if
          there's an Asian language on the list I might guess that one.

          I see that there's been some new languages added just today, and
          Icelandic is one of them.

          http://quietlyamused.org/blog/2013/09/08/a-great-language-update/

          The hardest languages to get right apparently are Kannada, Fijian,
          Dinka, and Dari. A score of 450 is above the median of 350, so that's
          not bad.