Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?

  • Toms Deimonds Barvidis
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 7, 2013
      I'm nineteen too and a native speaker of Latvian and I've been using "slash" in at least some of the senses in English
      for a few years now and it's slowly creeping into my Latvian, too. The way I say pronounce it in Latvian is pretty
      much the same as in English [sl{S]. I don't always write it in either language but when I do, I use the English spelling
      exclusively.

      --
      Toms Deimonds Barvidis

      Citējot Andrej Schütz <ashucky@...> :

    • Ian Spolarich
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 7, 2013
        While I am familiar with the usages of "slash" in speech as a conjunction,
        I'm not familiar with the examples where it is used at the start of a
        sentence. And I also have never seen it completely written out. I would be
        much more likely to write "going to the party / see you soon" instead of
        "going to the party slash see you soon".

        I also was not aware of its usage as a conjunction--what a pleasant
        surprise!

      • Ben Felix
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
          Doing my assignments slash reading this stuff. It is so interesting! I love
          it! Slash, I find myself wanting to use the word 'slash' more often!

        • BPJ
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
            2013-09-06 22:19, Matthew George skrev:
            > Formerly the 'slash' was sort of a glottal stop, but I've increasingly
            > heard it said explicitly. Same with air quotes, which formerly were mostly
            > a matter of intonation in speech and are now sometimes used as a phrase.
            >
            > Matt G.

            I sometimes use a single/double lateral click as spoken
            single/double quotes, usually without any closing 'quote'.
            The strange thing is that AFAIK I've never met another
            person who does this, except when imitating me, yet everyone
            seems to instantly get what I mean, since I've got some
            positive as well as negative comments over the years.

            As for 'slash' I hear it spoken quite a bit here in Sweden,
            always meaning 'and', 'or' or 'and/or', and usually the latter.
            NB this is a loanword _slash_ /slɛʂ/. When reading out an URL or
            filepath Swedish speakers usually say _slash_ too, although
            the character as punctuation is still usually called
            _snedstreck_ lit. 'slanted stroke'. The '\' character, which
            used to be unknown here is usually called _bakstreck_ lit.
            'back-stroke'. Nobody uses the official _bakåtvänt
            snedstreck_ 'backwards-turned slanted stroke'; even the
            Swedish Language Council's style rules uses _bakstreck_ as
            the first alternative in its index!

            BTW I've heard '|' called _pinne_ 'stick' but also _pajp_ (though
            I never actually saw it so spelled! :-) and _påle_ 'pole'. I
            think I'm the last one calling it _lod(streck)_ lit.
            'lead(stroke)'. Those young'uns don't even know what a _lod_
            is, of course!

            /bpj
          • Daniel Bowman
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
              I had never noticed the use of "slash" as a conjunction till this thread
              came up, but it is certainly part of my wife's idiolect (but not mine, I
              think). We are both native English speakers from the American Midwest and
              Southwest, respectively. I wonder if this conjunction has arisen from text
              messaging?

              2013/9/8 BPJ <bpj@...>

              > 2013-09-06 22:19, Matthew George skrev:
              > > Formerly the 'slash' was sort of a glottal stop, but I've increasingly
              > > heard it said explicitly. Same with air quotes, which formerly were
              > mostly
              > > a matter of intonation in speech and are now sometimes used as a phrase.
              > >
              > > Matt G.
              > >

              > I sometimes use a single/double lateral click as spoken
              > single/double quotes, usually without any closing 'quote'.
              > The strange thing is that AFAIK I've never met another
              > person who does this, except when imitating me, yet everyone
              > seems to instantly get what I mean, since I've got some
              > positive as well as negative comments over the years.
              >
              > As for 'slash' I hear it spoken quite a bit here in Sweden,
              > always meaning 'and', 'or' or 'and/or', and usually the latter.
              > NB this is a loanword _slash_ /slɛʂ/. When reading out an URL or
              > filepath Swedish speakers usually say _slash_ too, although
              > the character as punctuation is still usually called
              > _snedstreck_ lit. 'slanted stroke'. The '\' character, which
              > used to be unknown here is usually called _bakstreck_ lit.
              > 'back-stroke'. Nobody uses the official _bakåtvänt
              > snedstreck_ 'backwards-turned slanted stroke'; even the
              > Swedish Language Council's style rules uses _bakstreck_ as
              > the first alternative in its index!
              >
              > BTW I've heard '|' called _pinne_ 'stick' but also _pajp_ (though
              > I never actually saw it so spelled! :-) and _påle_ 'pole'. I
              > think I'm the last one calling it _lod(streck)_ lit.
              > 'lead(stroke)'. Those young'uns don't even know what a _lod_
              > is, of course!
              >
              > /bpj

            • Padraic Brown
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                > I sometimes use a single/double lateral click as spoken

                > single/double quotes, usually without any closing 'quote'.
                > The strange thing is that AFAIK I've never met another
                > person who does this, except when imitating me, yet everyone
                > seems to instantly get what I mean, since I've got some
                > positive as well as negative comments over the years.

                Hm. Do you do this anywhere quotation marks might show up?
                Like: "Well, I'm telling you Chris, John said kc-kc any time he
                needs anything at all..." Or just in the half-sarcastic places one
                might use air-quotes, like: "Oh, yeah, he's taking kc-kc medication
                for his kc-kc little problem!"

                I wouldn't do this myself, but would understand you pretty
                immediately if I heard you say it.

                > As for 'slash' I hear it spoken quite a bit here in Sweden,
                > always meaning 'and', 'or' or 'and/or', and usually the
                > latter.
                > NB this is a loanword _slash_ /slɛʂ/. When reading out an URL or
                > filepath Swedish speakers usually say _slash_ too, although
                > the character as punctuation is still usually called
                > _snedstreck_ lit. 'slanted stroke'.

                Perhaps folk see snedstreck as the usual punctuation, but, along with
                English speaking computer / internet technology came the English
                word, and both are seen as foreign.

                > BTW I've heard '|' called _pinne_ 'stick' but also _pajp_
                > (though
                > I never actually saw it so spelled! :-) and _påle_ 'pole'. I
                > think I'm the last one calling it _lod(streck)_ lit.
                > 'lead(stroke)'. Those young'uns don't even know what a _lod_
                > is, of course!

                I didn't even know it had a name!

                Padraic

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                  From: BPJ <bpj@...>

                  I sometimes use a single/double lateral click as spoken
                  single/double quotes, usually without any closing 'quote'.
                  The strange thing is that AFAIK I've never met another
                  person who does this, except when imitating me, yet everyone
                  seems to instantly get what I mean, since I've got some
                  positive as well as negative comments over the years.

                  RM (Ancient History Dept.) YEARS AGO, the Danish pianist/humorist Victor Borge had a bit with "spoken" punctuation marks. IIRC, those clicks were used for single/double quotes. Plus a lot of others that I disremember.
                • Allison Swenson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                    You know, I didn't realize that I say the word "slash" until I read this...

                    Now that it's been brought to mind, however, I realize I do indeed say it
                    aloud. Not commonly, and more often than not with a somewhat sarcastic
                    edge, but I do use it. In my own speech, I think it tends to have the
                    meaning of either "in other words" (example 4) or simply "and/or" (examples
                    1 through 3), but in writing I think I do use it in a similar way to the
                    later examples given.

                    I would never use it at the beginning of a sentence, though. That just
                    seems... very odd to me. And I confess it sounds very "teenager". Granted,
                    I'm not all that far out of being a teenager myself, but it has that
                    feeling to me.

                    Well, I guess it's something to keep an eye on. I'll use my usual test to
                    tell whether or not it's a "real" word--whether or not my mother uses it! I
                    knew "to google" had finally made it when she used it all on her own...