Re: Most phonetically beautiful sentence in a natlang

  • Leonardo Castro
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 27, 2013
      2013/8/27 Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...>:

      > I like American English and French because they sound "mellifluous":
      > the words link to each other and, if two phones are harsh together,
      > one of them is omitted or changed to another that match the other
      [...]
      > Interstingly, Brazilian Portuguese lost most of the "uncomfortable"
      > consonant clusters still present in European Portuguese ("obje(c)to",
      > "ó(p)timo", "fa(c)to", etc.)
      [...]
      > than EP. So, I guess that BP sounds more "staccato" and resembles CV

      Apparently, I contradicted myself by saying that BP omitted
      uncomfortable phones and is a "staccato" language. The difference is
      that BP didn't omit phones that were inconvenient to the process of
      linking words together. It rather omitted those that were inconvenient
      to easily pronounce the syllable per se. In mellifluous languages, the
      omission of phones is frequently determined by the environment. In
      staccato languages, changes happen as if there was a court making
      decisions like "the cluster ct is too difficult to pronounce, let's
      abolish all the c's in that situation and carefully pronounce the
      t's". Some Italian court might have decided that changes like "fluxus
      -> flusso" and "admirare -> ammirare" should happen.
    • Leonardo Castro
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 29, 2013
        2013/8/29 Roger Mills <romiltz@...>:
        > Somewhere in my ancient research I read of a tribal language in Indonesia where the men pronounced the /s/ phoneme as [s]. while the women used [h]. I don't think that would lead to too much confusion.
        >
        > Robin Lakoff, years ago, and Deborah Tannen (IIRC) have pointed out different intonation patterns for women in Amer.English.

        Just imagine that, for some random fashion, it starts to be considered
        "cute" to pronounce non-flapped intervocalic "t" and to omit final "r"
        in AmE . So, women could start to pronounce "better" as [b'Et@] while
        men would avoid this "non-masculine" pronunciation and pronounce
        [b'E4@r].

        Actually, there is at least one pronunciation features apparently more
        associated with young females in BrP, the elongation of nasals; listen
        to people imitating it in the following video, at times 4:15 and 5:07:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyCUu5lHiY

        This video shows the parts of two interviews with humorists where they
        imitate several BrP regional accents. They are somewhat exaggerated
        the most typical regional features, but I think that the imitations
        really give a good idea of what the real accents sound.

        (I had previously sent this message only to Roger but I intended to
        send to the list.)