Tripping over my own Tongues (was Re: Conlang Profanity)

  • Anthony Miles
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
      >.> The worst thing one could say to a Siye-speaker is "Simukimsu!" This means
      >> "(May you go) to the place where people don't speak Siye!" Or you could say
      >> "Pe Siye epesipuyammu." "You are not able to speak Siye."
      >>
      >> The worst thing one could say to a Fortunatian-speaker is "a Lom!" (to
      >> Rome!). Since the Fortunatians are Donatists, they regard Roman Catholics
      >> as arch-heretics. I haven't developed their profanity, but I'm sure
      >> religious swearwords are part of it.
      >

      >Interesting that you're swapping L's and R's too. Carrajina dose that
      >some. Lezujidu = resurected. Actually, the R form, rezujidu, is preferred
      >as more "correct," but the L form is used a lot and is used exclusively
      >when referring to raisins soaked in wine, lezujidus.

      >Adam

      Xnena xarbt me! (Virgin preserve me!) That should read "A Raum!" Siye has [l], but not [r]. Latin [l] and [r] in Fortunatian collapse into [r] (a general rhotic, I'm not doing a tight transcription here). If you look at the Fortunation non-Romance vocabulary on Frathwiki, there are a few words with /l/ [l], but that is a minority. It was an error, but then I decided that a few random words might have /l/ by hypercorrection, and then the hypercorrected forms would be reduced in number by random correction. And the Fortunatian for "resurrected" is /resroct-/. /Naux querbrax di de resroctiaun/ = "We celebrate the Day of Resurrection"
    • Adam Walker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
        On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Anthony Miles <mamercus88@...> wrote:

        > >.> The worst thing one could say to a Siye-speaker is "Simukimsu!" This
        > means
        > >> "(May you go) to the place where people don't speak Siye!" Or you could
        > say
        > >> "Pe Siye epesipuyammu." "You are not able to speak Siye."
        > >>
        > >> The worst thing one could say to a Fortunatian-speaker is "a Lom!" (to
        > >> Rome!). Since the Fortunatians are Donatists, they regard Roman
        > Catholics
        > >> as arch-heretics. I haven't developed their profanity, but I'm sure
        > >> religious swearwords are part of it.
        > >

        > >Interesting that you're swapping L's and R's too. Carrajina dose that
        > >some. Lezujidu = resurected. Actually, the R form, rezujidu, is preferred
        > >as more "correct," but the L form is used a lot and is used exclusively
        > >when referring to raisins soaked in wine, lezujidus.
        >
        > >Adam
        >
        > Xnena xarbt me! (Virgin preserve me!) That should read "A Raum!" Siye has
        > [l], but not [r]. Latin [l] and [r] in Fortunatian collapse into [r] (a
        > general rhotic, I'm not doing a tight transcription here). If you look at
        > the Fortunation non-Romance vocabulary on Frathwiki, there are a few words
        > with /l/ [l], but that is a minority. It was an error, but then I decided
        > that a few random words might have /l/ by hypercorrection, and then the
        > hypercorrected forms would be reduced in number by random correction. And
        > the Fortunatian for "resurrected" is /resroct-/. /Naux querbrax di de
        > resroctiaun/ = "We celebrate the Day of Resurrection"

        ¡Salvas Virdjini mivi!

        ¡dil Romi!

        Chelevramus dil dji djil rezujuni/lezujuni.

        Adam
      • Adam Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
          Ack! Error!