Re: Conlanging Software Wish List

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 31, 2013
      On 1 August 2013 02:13, James Kane <kanejam@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I haven't read every post quite yet and a lot of them get pretty technical
      > and go over my head a little. But I must say that Teoh's very extensive
      > list would be ideal for most conlangers. One thing that I personally would
      > like is that making new entries in a dictionary should be very very quick.
      >
      > This is the reason I use excel or word for my lexicons, even though they
      > aren't really suited, because making new entries is incredibly quick. I
      > once tried using Lexique and some of the other SIL softwares but they are
      > terribly clunky, and some days I might make a few dozen new lexical items
      > which I don't want to take half an hour just to put them in my lexicon.
      > Keyboard shortcuts would be very handy.

      Actually, adding entries in a SIL Toolbox dictionary is very fast and easy,
      *provided you created an entry template* (which is also very easy: create
      an entry with all the fields you want the entries to have, and then
      Database > Template..., then click OK :P). Nowadays I just do Ctrl+N and
      I've got an empty record with all the needed fields already present. You
      can even have default contents in those fields.

      Anyway, templating is a functionality that needs to be present in any
      software we conlangers will use, and that goes further than just lexicon
      entry templates.

      > I have another idea which might not be suitable for everyone and would
      > probably be more useful for conlangs with large lexicons or for people
      > unfamiliar with a conlang to look up words in it. Anyway, it's sort of
      > based on how Google Translate works. Each entry in the conlang has a number
      > of key words or phrases. Each time a word is searched for, any entry with
      > that word amongst its keywords comes up.
      >
      > Each entry also has a usage section and etymology section and derivatives
      > sections etc. Clicking on any keyword brings up all the entries which have
      > that keyword in the definition. To make it even more google translatish,
      > there could be values assigned to each keyword or the keywords arranged in
      > a hierarchy to show which translation is more common/better, as google
      > translate does with its corpus statistics.

      All good ideas.
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

      http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
    • Arnt Richard Johansen
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 5, 2013
        On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 06:09:20PM -0400, Patrick VanDusen wrote:

        > So let me ask you, the professionals; what sort of functionality would you
        > look for in conlanging software? What features would appeal to you?

        I would like a tool to help with non-agglutinative morphology.

        A framework I use a lot to help make the regularity less obvious is Word and Paradigm Morphology, as presented in David Peterson's LCC1 talk.
        Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z6lYZzLN-A
        and slides: http://conference.conlang.org/lcc1/Peterson-6slides.pdf

        This means that you have a set of rules, and then you apply those rules to a lexical item to make up a paradigm of inflections or derivations.

        Doing this by hand is rather time-consuming and error-prone, so it would be helpful to be able to automate it somehow.

        --
        Arnt Richard Johansen http://arj.nvg.org/
        Löylyä lisää, ei tunnu missää.