Re: Fwd: "Even if"

  • Padraic Brown
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 29, 2013
      > From: Lisa Weißbach <purereasonrevoluzzer@...>

      >> On fornez this man yoet yahend on thon watersithon with his beuhen ande
      >> his arhweuô,
      > What a cool story!

      This is one I didn't write -- just translated! But its style fits well with the
      philosophical gumbo that sloshes around the City. Actually, I would be
      interested , as an aside , in knowing what your impression of the language
      is, being a German speaker. Obviously, it's not intended to mimic German
      per se, but it's quite a bit different from ModEng!

      > And the idea of twisting existing proverbs and aphorisms
      > sounds clever, too.

      Ah, hast uncovered and laid bare the very root of all Philosophy!

      > During my long lurking period I've already gathered
      > that your World seems quite elaborate; I wish I had gotten this far
      > already...

      Well, in all honesty, I've been working at it since the mid 1980s or so.
      Gosh. I didn't realise twas quite thát long a time! It's certainly gotten
      much more attention and more depth the last ten years or so.

      > I started to work on a creation myth months ago and have only a
      > few sentences to show for it.

      Those could be some of the best sentences ever written! Myth is so
      much fun to work with. It's basic to every culture. Well, every culture
      that has some spark of the divine about it. They help the writer not
      only fill in some gaps of knowledge about the constructed language but
      also about the culture that speaks it. It is at once liberating to create
      the writing, but also binds creator and creation more closely together.
      Very intimate things, myths. They are the secret language of the
      conlanger speaking to her own creation within their own world.

      > These kinds of tales are perfect for filling
      > up a world with culture and provide insight into the way of thinking, and
      > they conjure up an image of the Avantimen being very good at narrating with
      > the sort of deadpan delivery of an abrupt ending that this story requires.
      > I like them already ;)

      Thanks! I've become rather fond of that particular place in the World as
      well. There and Westmarche.

      > I assume that "scôte" means 'shot'

      Yes. Sceuten is a second ablaut conjugation verb. My favorite in the class is dreuwnen,
      to lead (one) down the garden path, to deceive.

      > and that, judging from other sentences, the language isn't usually verb-last?

      Indeed not, though as with any highly inflected language, word order can be
      freed up a little. The usual order seems to be SVO, although verb first is also
      met with: "Lehhete then se hundô lîthund, them yahundum hwôpand he seyete...";
      laughed then the hounds' leader, (to) them hunters whooping he said... and
      verb final is also met with: "Ande they thon fohhe fefênen and his throwte scêren
      ande they Rahhnhardo qurfe, his blôd fram his throwte douwn rane." -- And they that
      fox grabbed and his throat (they) ripped and they Reynard slew, his blood from
      his throat down ran.

      Nominative and accusative are generally very clearly delineated, so se fohs vs. se
      fohhe are obviously different to an Avantiman listening to the story while the fox
      vs. the fox would not be so different to an Englishman. Of course, that doesn't
      work with all nouns: some, like water, share a nom./acc. in common.

      > If so, there
      > you have a sign of irony and comedic timing: leaving the verb - the crucial
      > word that undermines your expectations - until the very end of the sentence.

      Yes, I think that is a good point. Undoubtedly, verb final kind of makes a good
      place to leave the hearer with a strong sense of drama -- we don't really know
      what happened until the very last word! Like the sentence above: the writer
      còuld have said "ande they fefenen thon fohhe and sceren his throwte..." and it
      would have been perfectly good Avantimannish. But it would nòt have been
      good sawyery!

      In a similar way, the story teller can smack his audience, as it were, by
      confronting them immediately with the action by placing the verb first.

      >  I imagine that in telling the story, one might make a short
      > dramatic pause before the verb to prepare the listener for the surprise,
      > although I think that the irony has a more subtle impact without such a
      > pause; I'd prefer it that way.

      Ya. I read it with only the slightest pause at the comma after wiscraftinesse.