Re: ping

  • Elsa Nilaj
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24 3:00 PM
      hey guys uhm im new to this whole thing and uhm can one of you tell how
      this works? My friend David J. Peterson recommended it so I joined but to
      be honest I have no idea how to work anything on it so yeah.. hope you help

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:

      > Thanks guys! I'm subscribed thru gmail too so I got your replies on my
      > phone. I also saw an alert from gmail that they can't forward for the same
      > reason. Oddly there seems not to be any mail to fetch all the same. I've
      > texted the provider's support so hopefully they'll come up with something.
      > I guess that as a last resort I could try to delete and then recreate the
      > account. I'll see what's happening till I get home. Gah I hate cpanel!
      >
      > /bpj
      >
      > Den tisdagen den 23:e juli 2013 skrev H. S. Teoh:
      >
      > > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:05:25PM +0200, BPJ wrote:
      > > > Is the list broken?
      > > >
      > > > If it isn't please tell me so offlist!
      > > [...]
      > >
      > > I tried emailing you off-list, but it bounced because your mailbox is
      > > full. So I'm posting here on the list with the hope that perhaps, you
      > > will see this message in the list archives. The bounce message was that
      > > your mailbox quota has been exceeded. That's probably why you aren't
      > > seeing list messages. :)

      > > --
      > > It's bad luck to be superstitious. -- YHL

    • Eric Christopherson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26 4:18 PM
        On Jul 24, 2013, at 6:41 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:

        > Thanks guys! I'm subscribed thru gmail too so I got your replies on my
        > phone. I also saw an alert from gmail that they can't forward for the same
        > reason. Oddly there seems not to be any mail to fetch all the same. I've
        > texted the provider's support so hopefully they'll come up with something.
        > I guess that as a last resort I could try to delete and then recreate the
        > account. I'll see what's happening till I get home. Gah I hate cpanel!

        I remember years ago my ISP inbox somehow got clogged and the user agent I used at the time (probably Outlook Express) wasn't willing to delete the messages which it had already downloaded. I had to find a list of POP3 commands and telnet in to the server and delete the messages manually.
      • Padraic Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27 10:24 AM
          > From: Elsa Nilaj <elsanilaj96@...>

          > hey guys uhm im new to this whole thing and uhm can one of you tell how
          > this works? My friend David J. Peterson recommended it so I joined but to
          > be honest I have no idea how to work anything on it so yeah.. hope you help

          Greetings!

          Well, you've already mastered the fine art of actually posting to the list. So, that
          about covers all the technical aspects.

          I can only suppose David recommended you to the list because a) you're a nut,
          b) you've made a language, c) both of the above or e) none of the above. What
          follows now is basics of any group: who are you, what brings you here, you have an
          interest in languages in general, constructed languages in specific, if so, what sorts?
          Have you made / are you making / are you planning on making a conlang (or two
          or four)? Are you also interested in world building, alt-history, RPGs, etc.? Where
          are you located, do you speak any languages other than English? Are you a writer
          (novelist, poet, etc)? Are you a composer of music and / or song?

          Any one of these other arts could meet and mingle with conlanging.

          If you have made a language, it's generally very appropriate for you to introduce
          it -- interesting points of grammar or phonology, syntactical weirdness, example
          texts to show it off. If you have audio or video of yourself using the language,
          posting links to those files would certainly be of interest. Otherwise, usual
          netiquette applies.

          You're certainly welcome to join in any conversation you see going on at present,
          or start one of your own. Ask questions, add your own thoughts. If you see an
          interesting thread and discover that your language does something interesting
          that is pertinent, feel free to tell us about it! So, that about covers the non-technical
          aspects. Get busy!

          Padraic