Re: Forums for prehistoric linguistics of Europe?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
      On 05/07/2013 00:49, Padraic Brown wrote:
      [snip]

      > Interesting, but quite possibly crackpotty:

      Polat Kaya, eh? Definitely crackpotty then.

      He's the guy who claims the script on the Lemnos stele is
      a western Greek alphabet of the 6th century BC, but a script
      derived from 'runic' script of the Turkic Orhun and Yeniset
      inscriptions and other similar central Asian inscriptions.
      The language, of course, is not an Etruscan related one, as
      most think, but Turkic!
      http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Eteocretan/LemnianTrans.html#Kaya

      > Bet you didn't know that the ancient city of Troy is
      > actually the "Home of the Turks"! ;)))

      ... of course, and the Pelasgians were Turks. :-D

      for individual beings and events."
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
        On 05/07/2013 07:55, R A Brown wrote:
        [snip]

        > He's the guy who claims the script on the Lemnos stele
        > is a western Greek alphabet of the 6th century BC,

        OOPS!! a negative got omitted there :(

        I should have written: "He's the guy who claims the script
        on the Lemnos stele is _not_ a western Greek alphabet of the
        6th century BC,

        > but a script derived from 'runic' script of the Turkic
        > Orhun and Yeniset inscriptions and other similar central
        > Asian inscriptions

        I suppose I ought to have added that "and only
        coincidentally gives the appearance of a Greek script!"

        for individual beings and events."
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
          Hallo conlangers!

          On Friday 05 July 2013 08:55:27 R A Brown wrote:

          > On 05/07/2013 00:49, Padraic Brown wrote:
          > [snip]
          >
          > > Interesting, but quite possibly crackpotty:

          > Polat Kaya, eh? Definitely crackpotty then.

          And most of the others Padraic suggested are also unhelpful,
          for various reasons. Substratumlanguages would in theory be
          exactly the right thing (and I *am* there), but in practice,
          nobody posts there (and probably, nobody reads it). Cybalist
          is dedicated to IE studies, but it is de facto a Paleolithic
          Continuity mailing list, which is the reason why I have left it.
          The others are either not at all about European linguistic
          prehistory, or crackpotty, or both.

          I have been watching the Aegeanet archive lately, but apart
          from the list being limited to one particular region (and not
          even the ones where my interest is strongest, viz. Central
          Europe and the British Isles), it mostly carries announcements
          of conferences and similar stuff.

          > He's the guy who claims the script on the Lemnos stele is
          > a western Greek alphabet of the 6th century BC, but a script
          > derived from 'runic' script of the Turkic Orhun and Yeniset
          > inscriptions and other similar central Asian inscriptions.
          > The language, of course, is not an Etruscan related one, as
          > most think, but Turkic!
          > http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Eteocretan/LemnianTrans.html#Kaya

          Funny.

          > > Bet you didn't know that the ancient city of Troy is
          > > actually the "Home of the Turks"! ;)))
          >
          > ... of course, and the Pelasgians were Turks. :-D

          Turkish nationalism gone loopy.

          --
          ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
        • Padraic Brown
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
            > From: Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>

            > And most of the others Padraic suggested are also unhelpful,
            > for various reasons.

            Terribly sorry to hear that! The ones I picked were the *least* loopy ones
            I could find! All the rest were either neo-paganette reconstructionists,
            satanists, neo-nazis or various west Asian cultural groups (Pashto, Iranian,
            Afghan, etc).

            Hopefully someone can point you in a better direction!

            >> > Bet you didn't know that the ancient city of Troy is
            >> > actually the "Home of the Turks"! ;)))
            >>
            >> ... of course, and the Pelasgians were Turks. :-D
            >
            > Turkish nationalism gone loopy.

            Oh, the hilarity!

            Padraic
          • Padraic Brown
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 17, 2013
              Voiceless dentals go yer ways,
                  see yez in some oblique case!

              Ablaut and Umlaut came to play,
                   a > ə, e > ae, u > o > naught!
              Mentolatian likes to take the nom. pl. of a noun and use that as a root
              for a semantically extended series of nouns. For example, we have the
              word dazg (house, roof, covering) whose plural is jí (from old dəzgí).
              This plural becomes a new root, j- and can form a new word with a
              common nominal stem, -un. Hence, jun, cloth. The plural of cloth, jní,
              plus a different nominal stem, -aru, gives us sinaru, clothing. The plural
              of clothing, snáer, yields a common word for a suit or wardrobe of
              clothing, sneres. Finally, the plural of suits, zrəzí, plus a curious little
              combining root, -sd (place where), gives us erzed, an armoir or dresser.

              So, where the heck did dazg- go off to???

              Padraic
            • Virginia Keys
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 20, 2013
                On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:11:10 -0700, Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...> wrote:

                Voiceless dentals go yer ways,
                    see yez in some oblique case!

                Ablaut and Umlaut came to play,
                     a > ə, e > ae, u > o > naught!
                Mentolatian likes to take the nom. pl. of a noun and use that as a root
                for a semantically extended series of nouns. For example, we have the
                word dazg (house, roof, covering) whose plural is jí (from old dəzgí).
                This plural becomes a new root, j- and can form a new word with a
                common nominal stem, -un. Hence, jun, cloth. The plural of cloth, jní,
                plus a different nominal stem, -aru, gives us sinaru, clothing. The plural
                of clothing, snáer, yields a common word for a suit or wardrobe of
                clothing, sneres. Finally, the plural of suits, zrəzí, plus a curious little
                combining root, -sd (place where), gives us erzed, an armoir or dresser.

                So, where the heck did dazg- go off to???

                Padraic

                Haha, nice! I find your post particularly interesting, as I had been trying to think of ways to grow families of words from roots. Food for thought!

                --Virginia
              • Padraic Brown
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
                  > From: Virginia Keys <virginiakeys@...>

                  > Mentolatian likes to take the nom. pl. of a noun and use that as a root
                  > for a semantically extended series of nouns. For example, we have the
                  > word dazg (house, roof, covering) whose plural is jí (from old dəzgí).
                  > This plural becomes a new root, j- and can form a new word with a
                  > common nominal stem, -un. Hence, jun, cloth. The plural of cloth, jní,
                  > plus a different nominal stem, -aru, gives us sinaru, clothing. The plural
                  > of clothing, snáer, yields a common word for a suit or wardrobe of
                  > clothing, sneres. Finally, the plural of suits, zrəzí, plus a curious little
                  > combining root, -sd (place where), gives us erzed, an armoir or dresser.
                  >
                  > Haha, nice! I find your post particularly interesting, as I had been trying to
                  > think of ways to grow families of words from roots. Food for thought!

                  For some odd reason, it just made sense for the language to go this route.
                  Some transformations are pretty obvious: enem (pl. nmí), spirit yields
                  manzed, chapel or temple. Some are not so: cwanu (pl. nwí), noblewoman
                  yields wanzed, inner court or newaru, debt servant. On the other hand,
                  another word for woman, mannu (pl. mní), yields nemaru, midwife. Other
                  transformational morphemes could extend these: nemaruta, health or
                  nemaruwan, to heal; newaruta, servitude.

                  Some of these require an understanding of the culture before they become
                  clear. The inner court of a Mentolatian greathouse is roughly what we might
                  consider a formal garden with the addition of ancillary rooms on either side:
                  library / reading room, a room for refreshment, etc. These are the women's
                  rooms and this is where Things Get Done --- quite literally the "seat of
                  power".

                  On the other hand, and I suppose in a curiously odd twist of fate, if
                  a family finds itself in debt, it has been traditional to sell the eldest daughter
                  into servitude for a prescribed length of time until the debt is considered paid.
                  This actually nearly brought about the destruction of the whole culture. Twas
                  nearly two centuries ago that  Mentolatum found itself in a scuffle with Auntimoany.
                  Scuffle ended, in typicaly Germanic fashion, the victorious Emperor at the time
                  sought to "seal the deal" with a royal marriage and quite naturally demanded
                  the daughter of the arquan in marriage. Consternation ensued -- after all, how
                  could the arquan condescend to sell off his daughter into slavery!? -- but there
                  being no real choice in the matter, the poor girl got sent away. Although she
                  apparently succumbed to some wasting illness within two years, every Mentolatian
                  knew it was really an act of honorable suicide. Anyway, Auntimoany went on its
                  merry way, while Mentolatum fell into a nasty civil war and economic depression.
                  The arquan was deposed and much that was fair in the country fell to ruin. Twas
                  only about fifty years ago that the arquanate was restored, but its reputation was
                  still very much tarnished. Much of the old esteem was refurbished five years ago
                  when the present arquan, on the anniversary of that ill-fated wedding, decreed
                  an end to the practice of newaruta.

                  Padraic