Online Translator for Conlangs

  • David Peterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2013
      Joe Rocca has created a tool that allows you to create an online translator. It gives you options for specifying two different languages that can be used for translation without limits to the type of language. Once you've saved it, it gives you a link for a public-facing online translator (so, for example, you could create an English-Your Conlang translator and send the link to others). Right now it's in its testing phase and is buggy, so Joe is looking for people to test it and give him feedback. If you're interested, the website is below:

      http://lingojam.com/

      And for bugs/feature requests, use the e-mail below:

      hello@...

      David Peterson
      LCS President
      president@...
      www.conlang.org
    • H. S. Teoh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
        On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:26:39PM -0700, David Peterson wrote:
        > Joe Rocca has created a tool that allows you to create an online
        > translator. It gives you options for specifying two different
        > languages that can be used for translation without limits to the type
        > of language. Once you've saved it, it gives you a link for a
        > public-facing online translator (so, for example, you could create an
        > English-Your Conlang translator and send the link to others). Right
        > now it's in its testing phase and is buggy, so Joe is looking for
        > people to test it and give him feedback. If you're interested, the
        > website is below:
        >
        > http://lingojam.com/
        [...]

        Is it just a word-for-word / phrase-for-phrase translator? Does it
        handle any syntactical transformations? Any context-sensitive
        transformations? Word-order changes?

        Who told you to swim in Crocodile Lake without life insurance??
      • Andrej Šuc
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
          I've tried it and for now, it's just a word-for-word (or phrase-for-phrase)
          translator. It's really basic but at least it gives you a string of words
          and then you can apply grammar to them. :) I've also spoken to Joe about
          some improvements, namely about declensions and conjugations (so that when
          entering a transitive verb, the translator would automatically pick the
          form of the following noun in the correct case (translating from English to
          a conlang)).

          I'd say it's definitely worth a try. :)

          --
          The future is predetermined by the character of those who shape it.
          Prihodnost vnaprej določajo karakterji tistih, ki jo oblikujejo.