Re: writing (almost) entirely in lower-case letters

  • Douglas Koller
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 25, 2013
      > Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:06:37 -0500
      > From: tolkien_freak@...
      > Subject: Re: writing (almost) entirely in lower-case letters
      > To: CONLANG@...

      > And a further question ( :P ) - for people with IE-esque conlangs where
      > case morphology is largely inalienable from nouns, are foreign names
      > uninflectable or are they wedged somehow into the case system? (cf Latin
      > vs. Ancient Greek - Latin tries to jam them in (hence 'Confucius',
      > 'Gustavus', etc.), while Greek just leaves them alone (Ισραήλ and so on).)

      Goodness, "wedging" and "jamming" are such violent words. In Géarthnuns, if an incomer doesn't slide into the jacuzzi ("Israel" would do just fine as "Ísraéls"), we gently massage a suffix onto the end: Kong(fu)dzöbauths (for people) (Confucius); Zhönevsars (for places) (Geneva); gathpacholats (for things) (gazpacho). For people, sometimes a title will cover it: Obama Alüdlers (President Obama). For places, sometimes the geographic feature will do (as in other langs): Dedongsfaiers (Taedong River). Nary a shoehorn or hammer in sight.

      Kou
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 28, 2013
        Hallo conlangers!

        On Thursday 27 June 2013 21:14:47 R A Brown wrote:

        > On 27/06/2013 00:57, Aodhán Aannestad wrote:
        > > Ah, that was mostly just my impression - apologies for
        > > presenting it as fact when it wasn't!
        >
        > No worries.
        >
        > The question "And a further question ( :P ) - for people
        > with IE-esque conlangs where case morphology is largely
        > inalienable from nouns, are foreign names uninflectable or
        > are they wedged somehow into the case system?" is an
        > interesting one.
        >
        > Except I would not restrict it to IE-esque conlangs. Any
        > conlang with case morphology will surely have this problem.

        Yep.

        > Indeed, there are two problems in dealing with foreign names:
        > 1. How do you put the name into the phonology of your
        > conlang, whether nouns are declined or not?
        > 2. If your language has a case system, do you leave them
        > uninflected, or some & uninflected and other inflected (as
        > in Latin & Greek), or do you assimilate them all into your
        > declension systems?
        >
        > We had a thread on 1 above not so very long ago. But 2 is
        > interesting, though, unfortunately, not one I can answer as
        > I have no conlangs with a case system. ;)

        I have laid out yesterday how this is done in Old Albic.
        In that language, things are comparably simple because the
        declension is pretty agglutinative. If your language has
        articles that inflect for case, you can use them to mark
        case on indeclinable foreign nouns. Old Albic does this
        with finite clauses that function as adverbial phrases:

        Anaphelasa Mørdindo om janom emi alarasa laras.
        AOR-entertain-3SG:P-3SG:A Mørdindo.AGT the:M-OBJ boy-OBJ
        the:I-INS AOR-sing-3SG:P-3SG:A song.OBJ
        'Mørdindo entertained the boy by that he sang a song.'

        --
        ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf