Re: What do you call the damn thing!

  • George Corley
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
      I call it a "remote". A Chinese friend informs me that the Chinese is 遥控,
      which appears to be a direct calque of the English "remote control" (遥 yao2
      "far, remote, distant"; 控 kong4 "to control"). She said 遥控器 yao2kong4qi4
      "remote control device" is also acceptable.

      None of my conlangs have a word for remote control, since they are set in
      environments where they wouldn't really need it -- and of course, I have
      precious tiny lexica anyway.

      On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Mechthild Czapp <rejistania@...> wrote:

      > In German, Fernbedienung (literally: usage from a distance) is pretty
      > common. Do Rejistanis need remotes for their few analogue terrestrial
      > channels? If yes, anteni'het jenti (literally: distant switch) seems like
      > it should be the best term. If only because anteni (switch) is such a nice
      > false friend here :)
      >
      > Am 19.06.2013 um 20:16 schrieb Jim T <clanrubylion@...>:
      >
      > > Hi all,
      > > I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I
      > was last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the
      > replacement.
      > >
      > > A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though
      > the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
      > >
      > > Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel
      > flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
      > >
      > > ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
      > >
      > > Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
      > >
      > > Jim

    • Jim Henry
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
        On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Jim T <clanrubylion@...> wrote:
        > Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?

        In my English 'lect (southeastern U.S., Georgia and Lousiana), I
        generally say "remote" or "remote control" or "TV remote".

        > ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?

        In gjâ-zym-byn, it's {jĭlm-ŋy-ĉa} - {jĭlm} "to open, turn on,
        activate", {ŋy} "distant", {ĉa} tool suffix.

        --
        Jim Henry
        http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
          I call it “the remote”. I live in VA.

          Sefdaanian culture is pre-technology, so they wouldn’t know about remote controls.

          But I have coined a word. In the Senjecan dictionaries I put in italics words that are contemporary.

          firmeiþlos
          fir- < firis, adj., far, remote < fira, to distance, to recede
          -meiþ- < meiþa, 1) t.v. change, vary, alter, alternate, change places with; mutate. 2) i.v. change, vary, alter, alternate; mutate.
          -los, tool suffix.

          Charlie

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
            I'm not sure whether Kash has such a tool/concept; but 2 possibilities exist:

            çunu 'different' (rucunu 'to change') + nava 'far' could take the agentive prefix kaN- > kacunu+nava, which would go to kacundava, most likely shortened to cundava, even further (favoring 2-syll. structure) _cundap_.  Riyena cundap raç? Where's the damn remote? (The Kash would more likely just get up and change the channel physically. But of course there can be remote controls for things besides TVs....

            OR nirit 'to control' + nava could > nirindava, again probably shortened to something like _rindap_.  (_niri_ means 'to steer', so maybe we could form something off that;....)

            Gwr is more likely to have such a gadget, but I don't have enough vocab. yet.....

            I call it a "remote". A Chinese friend informs me that the Chinese is 遥控,
            which appears to be a direct calque of the English "remote control" (遥 yao2
            "far, remote, distant"; 控 kong4 "to control"). She said  遥控器 yao2kong4qi4
            "remote control device" is also acceptable.

            None of my conlangs have a word for remote control, since they are set in
            environments where they wouldn't really need it -- and of course, I have
            precious tiny lexica anyway.

            On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Mechthild Czapp <rejistania@...> wrote:

            > In German, Fernbedienung (literally: usage from a distance) is pretty
            > common. Do Rejistanis need remotes for their few analogue terrestrial
            > channels? If yes, anteni'het jenti (literally: distant switch) seems like
            > it should be the best term. If only because anteni (switch) is such a nice
            > false friend here :)
            >
            > Am 19.06.2013 um 20:16 schrieb Jim T <clanrubylion@...>:
            >
            > > Hi all,
            > > I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I
            > was last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the
            > replacement.
            > >
            > > A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though
            > the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
            > >
            > > Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel
            > flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
            > >
            > > ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
            > >
            > > Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
            > >
            > > Jim

          • MorphemeAddict
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
              I call it a remote, but my father-in-law calls it a clicker, which I didn't
              understand for a while.

              stevo

              On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Jim T <clanrubylion@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I was
              > last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the replacement.
              >
              > A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though
              > the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
              >
              > Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel
              > flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
              >
              > ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
              >
              > Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
              >
              > Jim

            • Sam Stutter
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                Seeing as so many of us say "remote", rather than "clicker" or whatever, I suspect it might be a generational thing, rather than something regional, with perhaps a few outliers. I also tend to use "remote".

                However, due to completely forgetting what the word was the other day, I ended up calling it "black button tube". But surely a more amusing area of research is what we call the television itself? Currently I've settled on "peeper-box" and "jellyvision" :)

                Sam Stutter
                samjjs89@...
                "No e na'l cu barri"

                On 20 Jun 2013, at 06:35, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:

                > I call it a remote, but my father-in-law calls it a clicker, which I didn't
                > understand for a while.
                >
                > stevo
                >

                > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Jim T <clanrubylion@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi all,
                >> I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I was
                >> last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the replacement.
                >>
                >> A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though
                >> the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
                >>
                >> Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel
                >> flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
                >>
                >> ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
                >>
                >> Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
                >>
                >> Jim

              • Zach Wellstood
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                  Remote and clicker are interchangeable for me and I use them pretty
                  frequently without thinking about it. My dad (he's 62, if it is a
                  generational thing) says "channel changer" which is odd to me. Now that I
                  think of it, he has quite a lot of vocab like this that I find odd.
                  On Jun 20, 2013 4:31 PM, "Sam Stutter" <samjjs89@...> wrote:

                  > Seeing as so many of us say "remote", rather than "clicker" or whatever, I
                  > suspect it might be a generational thing, rather than something regional,
                  > with perhaps a few outliers. I also tend to use "remote".
                  >
                  > However, due to completely forgetting what the word was the other day, I
                  > ended up calling it "black button tube". But surely a more amusing area of
                  > research is what we call the television itself? Currently I've settled on
                  > "peeper-box" and "jellyvision" :)
                  >

                  > Sam Stutter
                  > samjjs89@...
                  > "No e na'l cu barri"
                  >

                  > On 20 Jun 2013, at 06:35, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I call it a remote, but my father-in-law calls it a clicker, which I
                  > didn't
                  > > understand for a while.
                  > >
                  > > stevo
                  > >

                  > > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Jim T <clanrubylion@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Hi all,
                  > >> I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I
                  > was
                  > >> last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the
                  > replacement.
                  > >>
                  > >> A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though
                  > >> the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
                  > >>
                  > >> Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel
                  > >> flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
                  > >>
                  > >> ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
                  > >>
                  > >> Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
                  > >>
                  > >> Jim

                • Ph. D.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                    MorphemeAddict wrote:
                    > I call it a remote, but my father-in-law calls it a clicker, which I didn't
                    > understand for a while.
                    >
                    > stevo

                    My girlfriend's family is from Croatia. They've always called it a
                    "zig-zig."

                    --Ph. D.
                  • Daniel Prohaska
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                      In German the Star Wars generation often uses the term "Die Macht" - "The Force" which I quite like. In our home it was always "Quitscherl" - "Squeakie", because the remote on our old TV squeaked when you pressed a button.
                      Dan

                      On Jun 19, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Mechthild Czapp wrote:

                      > In German, Fernbedienung (literally: usage from a distance) is pretty common. Do Rejistanis need remotes for their few analogue terrestrial channels? If yes, anteni'het jenti (literally: distant switch) seems like it should be the best term. If only because anteni (switch) is such a nice false friend here :)
                      >
                      > Am 19.06.2013 um 20:16 schrieb Jim T <clanrubylion@...>:
                      >
                      >> Hi all,
                      >> I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I was last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the replacement.
                      >>
                      >> A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
                      >>
                      >> Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
                      >>
                      >> ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
                      >>
                      >> Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
                      >>
                      >> Jim
                    • George Corley
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                        On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM, C. Brickner <tepeyachill@...>wrote:

                        > I call it “the remote”. I live in VA.
                        >
                        > Sefdaanian culture is pre-technology, so they wouldn’t know about remote
                        > controls.

                        Hmm ... maybe more specific. Pre-technology, to me, could mean that they
                        don't use any tools whatsoever (unlikely, since even some of the brighter
                        non-human animals use tools in the real world).
                      • Nina-Kristine Johnson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                          Hiya!

                          My dad used to call it a 'snapper'. Has anyone else heard/called it that?
                          Or is my dad the only odd ball?

                          Drove mum mad once when I called it that. Accidentally, of course. I
                          usually say 'remote'. As does mum, my fiance, even (IIRC) stepdad, who was
                          born and raised in Sheffield.

                          This topic reminds me more of an amusing anecdote about my granddad. When
                          the Chalupa first came out at Taco Bell (we're talking '99 or 2000). He
                          wanted to try one, but he had difficulty hearing (lost it from being an
                          airline pilot). He got to the drive through and tried to order it. Couldn't
                          Pronounce it and the kid on the other end couldn't understand. He finally
                          was like 'The dog thing!'. Referring to the Chihuaha that advertised it.
                          'What's that damn thing called?!' Indeed! *chuckle*

                          Cheers!,
                          Kristine
                          On 20 Jun 2013 01:31, "Sam Stutter" <samjjs89@...> wrote:

                          > Seeing as so many of us say "remote", rather than "clicker" or whatever, I
                          > suspect it might be a generational thing, rather than something regional,
                          > with perhaps a few outliers. I also tend to use "remote".
                          >
                          > However, due to completely forgetting what the word was the other day, I
                          > ended up calling it "black button tube". But surely a more amusing area of
                          > research is what we call the television itself? Currently I've settled on
                          > "peeper-box" and "jellyvision" :)
                          >

                          > Sam Stutter
                          > samjjs89@...
                          > "No e na'l cu barri"
                          >

                          > On 20 Jun 2013, at 06:35, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I call it a remote, but my father-in-law calls it a clicker, which I
                          > didn't
                          > > understand for a while.
                          > >
                          > > stevo
                          > >

                          > > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Jim T <clanrubylion@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> Hi all,
                          > >> I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I
                          > was
                          > >> last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the
                          > replacement.
                          > >>
                          > >> A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though
                          > >> the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
                          > >>
                          > >> Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel
                          > >> flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
                          > >>
                          > >> ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
                          > >>
                          > >> Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
                          > >>
                          > >> Jim

                        • And Rosta
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                            The magic zapper, the zapper, the doofer, the buttons. These are ones from
                            England.
                            On Jun 19, 2013 8:17 PM, "Jim T" <clanrubylion@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all,
                            > I found this interesting because at work, the TV remote was stolen. I was
                            > last to see it, so I had to cross the river (Fraser) to get the replacement.
                            >
                            > A facebook acquaintance recently posted this in her status and I though
                            > the list might enjoy the debate as our own uses of English vary widely.
                            >
                            > Clicker, remote, switcher, chanel changer, chanel hopper, channel
                            > flipper.... WHAT DO YOU CALL THE DAMN THING?
                            >
                            > ObConlang, do any of your conlangs have a word for this?
                            >
                            > Mine don't because their world doesn't have the TV, or the remote.
                            >
                            > Jim

                          • Douglas Koller
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 20, 2013
                              > Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:47:46 -0500
                              > From: gacorley@...
                              > Subject: Re: What do you call the damn thing!
                              > To: CONLANG@...

                              > I call it a "remote". A Chinese friend informs me that the Chinese is 遥控,
                              > which appears to be a direct calque of the English "remote control" (遥 yao2
                              > "far, remote, distant"; 控 kong4 "to control"). She said 遥控器 yao2kong4qi4
                              > "remote control device" is also acceptable.

                              A calque, certainly, but I imagine it was truncated. Like "When in Rome.", full stop, doesn't make a whole lotta sense unless you already know the entire expression, and "remote", in English, by itself would be a little opaque without a history of "remote control" behind it, so, too, I'm guessing, "遥控".

                              "遙遠" yao2yuan3 (remote) + "控制 "kong4zhi4" (control) = 遙遠控制

                              Start with that for a while, let the masses settle into it, then at the tipping point, take the first one of each: 遥控

                              Hardly a new phenomenon:

                              環境 huan2jing4 (environment) + 保護 bao3hu4 (protection) = 環境保護 => 環保
                              空氣 kong1qi4 (air) + 調節 tiao2jie2 (adjusting) = 空氣調節 => 空調 (air conditioner)
                              ? 傳送 chuan2song4 (transmit/convey) + 真件 zhen1jian4 (actual documents) = 傳送真件 => 傳真 (fax)

                              I suspect that's what's going on. (unless one is being specifically technical, glomming 器's and 機's onto these feels to non-native me like saying "channel changer" or "clicker" in English; c'mon, Pops, cut off your queue and join us in the 21st century, won't you?)

                              Meanwhile, over by the mouth of the Tumen, the Géarthçins are most likely calling it a "klébvöks", a calque-y "remote control" that simply blends too well. I suspect there may be a more indigenous term from back in the 70s that, to the chagrin of purists, died of loneliness as the calque elbowed its way in. We'll just have to see.

                              Kou
                            • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 28, 2013
                                On 19 June 2013 21:24, Mechthild Czapp <rejistania@...> wrote:

                                > In German, Fernbedienung (literally: usage from a distance) is pretty
                                > common.

                                Dutch has something similar: _afstandsbediening_, literally meaning
                                "control/service from a distance". French uses _télécommande_, adding the
                                Greek prefix _télé-_ indicating distance to the French word _commande_
                                meaning "control", "order", but also "switch".

                                Moten doesn't have the word yet, but it will eventually do (it's spoken
                                "here and now" after all). It will probably be a compound beginning with
                                _miko_ meaning "far, long distance" (just like _mikostulipi_ meaning
                                "telephone" –literally "instrument to summon from far"– and
                                _mikobozez/mikomedgaz_ meaning "broadcast" –literally "sent far away"–).
                                But I need a word for "television" first :P .
                                --
                                Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

                                http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/