Jun11 noun cases

  • neo gu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2013
      Here's the Jun11 noun case system. It seems to work but I'm concerned about how naturalistic it is. Also, I wonder if the nominative should be called that given the lack of an accusative.

      NOUN CASES

      * Each noun is implicitly animate or inanimate.
      * Nouns are inflected for number and case.
      * The numbers are singular (unmarked) and plural (-P).
      * Mass nouns lack plural forms.
      * Count nouns lack the partitive singular (although the partitive plural is made from the singular stem).
      * Inanimate nouns lack the vocative, obviative, comitative, and dative.

      Vocative
      * identifies addressee(s)

      Nominative (?)
      * intransitive subject
      * transitive agent or donor, except when instrumental is required
      * transitive patient or theme, except when obviative is required
      * object of preposition
      * complement of identity or definition clause

      Obviative
      * animate transitive patient or theme when agent or donor is phrase or omitted

      Dative
      * recipient or beneficiary

      Comitative
      * companion

      Instrumental
      * instrument
      * inanimate agent or donor
      * original transitive agent or donor of causative verb (causee)

      Partitive
      * the whole from which a part is selected

      Genitive
      * possessor or other adnominal relationship

      The person and number of the subject or transitive agent are marked by enclitic pronouns rather than suffixes, so that the verb is 0-marked when that argument is a noun phrase. It's also 0-marked when the argument is omitted.

      gu z^idaffe baxta. "The giraffes ran."
      baxtaya. "They ran."
      baxta. "Running occurred."
      gu elefanta vaanaya. "They saw the elephant."

      gu z^idaffe gu elefantane vaana.
      gu z^idaff-e gu elefant-ane vaan-a
      Def giraffe-PNom the elephant-SObv see-A
      "The giraffes saw the elephant."

      gu z^idaffaisa baxtatta gu elefanta.
      gu z^idaff-aisa baxt-att-a gu elefant-a
      Def giraffe-PIns run-Cau-A Def elephant-SNom
      "The elephant made the giraffes run."