[THEORY] What did proto-language speakers look like?

  • Leonardo Castro
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
      Can we have any reliable idea of what the speakers of proto-languages
      looked like physically?

      According to Nicholas Ostler's book, Proto-Afro-Asiatic is probably
      from Africa. Were its speakers black?

      Were the speakers of Altaic languages Caucasian or Mongolic?

      Do we have current languages that are descendants of Blonde languages?
      Or ¿Finnish and Nordic languages are ultimately invasive Brunette
      languages?

      Até mais!

      Leonardo
    • Wesley Parish
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
        They were three-foot-high market analysts who fell out of the wormhole in
        reality created by the Heart of Gold on its maiden voyage ... :) They were
        green-skinned with pink polka dots and purple stripes ... :)

        Speaking facetiously, I think they probably would've looked like the Semang
        while in their initial, beach-comber phase c60 000ya until they set out to
        explore their particular environments; I think the proto-Afro-Asiatic speakers
        would've looked like the Ethiopians and Somalis.

        There are some useful books on the human genetic journey from Out of Africa
        stage to present day. can't recall them all offhand but they are what you're
        looking for:
        http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/399298.Out_Of_Eden

        Wesley Parish

        Quoting Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...>:

        > Can we have any reliable idea of what the speakers of proto-languages
        > looked like physically?
        >
        > According to Nicholas Ostler's book, Proto-Afro-Asiatic is probably
        > from Africa. Were its speakers black?
        >
        > Were the speakers of Altaic languages Caucasian or Mongolic?
        >
        > Do we have current languages that are descendants of Blonde languages?
        > Or ¿Finnish and Nordic languages are ultimately invasive Brunette
        > languages?
        >
        > Até mais!
        >
        > Leonardo

        "Sharpened hands are happy hands.
        "Brim the tinfall with mirthful bands"
        - A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge

        "I me. Shape middled me. I would come out into hot!"
        I from the spicy that day was overcasked mockingly - it's a symbol of the
        other horizon. - emacs : meta x dissociated-press
      • George Corley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
          In general, determining what speakers of a proto-language looked like
          should probably be handled by physical anthropologists independently. Once
          we have some idea where the language may have originated, we can compare
          notes and see how that works out. The fact is, languages mostly spread by
          local populations adopting another language, not by colonists completely
          overrunning the locals.