Re: "How do you say X (in LANGUAGE)?"

  • James Kane
    Message 1 of 48 , Jun 2 1:44 AM
      On 2/06/2013, at 11:52 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@...> wrote:

      > On 1 June 2013 03:29, James Kane <kanejam@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Wow I have been very wrong! I did learn most of my French in a classroom
      >> rather than a native speaking environment... Presumably they did want us to
      >> speak more formally. I also might be mixing too much of my English with it.
      >> I'm sorry for trying to correct you though ;-P
      > Don't worry! People here know that I've been complaining a long time about
      > the sad state of French-as-a-foreign-language education :) . Your
      > experience is just one more piece of evidence to show how unhelpful that
      > education really is. No wonder so many people who take French at school end
      > up completely tongue-tied when they are actually in France and try to use
      > the language. What you learn has only a passing resemblance to what the
      > average French of the street will speak!
      > --
      > Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.
      >
      > http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
      > http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

      Well I do remember being a bit shocked when one of our French teachers told us that the Parisian pronunciation of 'je ne sais pas' was [Se'pA].

      James
    • Anthony Miles
      Message 48 of 48 , Jun 6 9:48 PM
        In Siye, one says "How can I say X well?", because clearly if you use any other language you aren't speaking well.
        Palaki le X nimuku elesipuyammumo?
        pala-ki le-0 X nimu-ku e-le-si-pu-yam-m(a)-umo
        what-INS 1-NOM good-ADV 4-1-speak.IMPFV-SG-ABILITIVE-IMPFV.POS.REALIS-Q