Place/mannor/voicing

  • Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
      Why are these terms called by those names?

      Mellissa Green

      @GreenNovelist
    • Matthew George
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
        Place is straightforward - it could as easily have been called 'location'.

        As for 'manner', one of the meanings of that word is "the way in which
        something is done". Every location that can be involved in speech can be
        used to make sound in one of several different ways. To refer to a
        particular way, we talk about the "manner of articulation".

        As for 'voice', when someone is said to be "in full voice" they're using
        their vocal cords consistently and powerfully. Normal speech has
        vibration, whispered does not - and when someone has "lost their voice", we
        usually don't mean that they can't make any sounds at all, but that they
        can't produce glottal vibrations. Why the meaning was narrowed from the
        original sense of "sound produced by the human mouth and throat" I don't
        know.

        Matt G.