Language Creation at GenCon

  • Casey Borders
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19, 2013
      This year at GenCon there is going to be a session on creating a language (
      https://www.gencon.com/events/41206) and another on learning Esperanto (
      https://www.gencon.com/events/41738)!

      For those of you who aren't familiar with GenCon it is the largest board /
      tabletop gaming convention in the country! It happens every year in
      Indianapolis and is an awesome time! If you have a chance you
      should definitely stop by!
      *
      *
      *Casey Borders*
    • Casey Borders
      Message 2 of 15 , May 19, 2013
        Most likely not but I could try to do an audio recording if the presenter
        is up for it.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 19, 2013
          Will it be online?

          Mellissa Green

          @GreenNovelist

          Message 4 of 15 , May 19, 2013
            Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated. Even though I'm using a guide, it
            would still be good, and may helpcomplete the guide, as it may offer ideas.

            Mellissa Green

            @GreenNovelist

            goldyemoran@...> wrote:

            > Will it be online?
            >
            > Mellissa Green
            >

            > @GreenNovelist

          • neo gu
            Message 5 of 15 , May 19, 2013
              On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:49:11 -0400, Casey Borders <thebeast.13@...> wrote:

              >This year at GenCon there is going to be a session on creating a language (
              >https://www.gencon.com/events/41206) and another on learning Esperanto (
              >https://www.gencon.com/events/41738)!

              Your link goes to a sign-in page.

              >For those of you who aren't familiar with GenCon it is the largest board /
              >tabletop gaming convention in the country! It happens every year in
              >Indianapolis and is an awesome time! If you have a chance you
              >should definitely stop by!
              >*
              >*
              >*Casey Borders*
            • Casey Borders
              Message 6 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                Sorry about that. I'll copy and paste the descriptions.

                Language Creation:
                Fictional worlds often include languages to make their setting more
                believable. This seminar will help you create your own language, suitable
                for adding color to a game or novel.

                Esperanto:
                Learn Esperanto, the international language, spoken by people worldwide.
                I'll teach the basics of the language, show you how and where it's used
                (*cough* William Shatner *cough*) and give resources for further study.
                Open up a world of movies, music, and literature you never knew existed.
                You'll come back from GenCon as a polyglot! Complete newbies welcome, as
                are experienced Esperantists.

                wrote:

                >This year at GenCon there is going to be a session on creating a language (
                >https://www.gencon.com/events/41206) and another on learning Esperanto (
                >https://www.gencon.com/events/41738)!

                Your link goes to a sign-in page.

                >For those of you who aren't familiar with GenCon it is the largest board /
                >tabletop gaming convention in the country! It happens every year in
                >Indianapolis and is an awesome time! If you have a chance you
                >should definitely stop by!
                >*
                >*
                >*Casey Borders*
              • neo gu
                Message 7 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                  On Sun, 19 May 2013 18:43:21 -0400, Casey Borders <thebeast.13@...> wrote:

                  >Sorry about that. I'll copy and paste the descriptions.

                  Thanks! Do you know who's involved in the Language Creation seminar?

                  >Language Creation:
                  >Fictional worlds often include languages to make their setting more
                  >believable. This seminar will help you create your own language, suitable
                  >for adding color to a game or novel.
                  >
                  >Esperanto:
                  >Learn Esperanto, the international language, spoken by people worldwide.
                  >I'll teach the basics of the language, show you how and where it's used
                  >(*cough* William Shatner *cough*) and give resources for further study.
                  >Open up a world of movies, music, and literature you never knew existed.
                  >You'll come back from GenCon as a polyglot! Complete newbies welcome, as
                  >are experienced Esperantists.
                  >On May 19, 2013 6:33 PM, "neo gu" <qiihoskeh@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:49:11 -0400, Casey Borders <thebeast.13@...>
                  >wrote:
                  >>
                  >>This year at GenCon there is going to be a session on creating a language (
                  >>https://www.gencon.com/events/41206) and another on learning Esperanto (
                  >>https://www.gencon.com/events/41738)!
                  >
                  >Your link goes to a sign-in page.
                  >
                  >>For those of you who aren't familiar with GenCon it is the largest board /
                  >>tabletop gaming convention in the country! It happens every year in
                  >>Indianapolis and is an awesome time! If you have a chance you
                  >>should definitely stop by!
                  >>*
                  >>*
                  >>*Casey Borders*
                • Casey Borders
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                    I don't. I was very surprised to see the sessions. I plan on introducing
                    myself though!

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                      Thanks for that. Sounds good. Now I see why Tolkeen took ten years to
                      worldbuild, notthat I plan to take ten years, but it takes a while, and
                      especially since I have to get specialized formatted books.

                      Mellissa Green

                      @GreenNovelist

                      wrote:

                      >This year at GenCon there is going to be a session on creating a language (
                      >https://www.gencon.com/events/41206) and another on learning Esperanto (
                      >https://www.gencon.com/events/41738)!

                      Your link goes to a sign-in page.

                      >For those of you who aren't familiar with GenCon it is the largest board /
                      >tabletop gaming convention in the country! It happens every year in
                      >Indianapolis and is an awesome time! If you have a chance you
                      >should definitely stop by!
                      >*
                      >*
                      >*Casey Borders*
                    • Daniel Myers
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                        Howdy,

                        I'm the one doing the language creation seminar. My intention is to
                        gear it towards conlang newbies, so I suspect there won't be much that
                        hasn't been covered here over the past several years.

                        I'm pretty easy to sidetrack, though. ;-)

                        Recording it is fine, as long as you don't make too much fun of my
                        voice. I'm also ok with the recording being posted online.

                        I can't remember what my schedule is like on Friday after the seminar,
                        but I'm pretty easy to find at the con - just look at the Writer's
                        Symposium seminars or at the MHE Paint & Take area.

                        - Doc
                        (Daniel Myers, Blackspoon Press)

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                          I hoe I'll get something out of it. I wish I had my book from Holly LisleI hope I can find it again, since the guide I'm ging through just give brief info, since it was geared towards a class she was teaching.
                          Do you have a Table of Contents?

                          Mellissa Green

                          @GreenNovelist

                          I'm the one doing the language creation seminar. My intention is to
                          gear it towards conlang newbies, so I suspect there won't be much that
                          hasn't been covered here over the past several years.

                          I'm pretty easy to sidetrack, though. ;-)

                          Recording it is fine, as long as you don't make too much fun of my
                          voice. I'm also ok with the recording being posted online.

                          I can't remember what my schedule is like on Friday after the seminar,
                          but I'm pretty easy to find at the con - just look at the Writer's
                          Symposium seminars or at the MHE Paint & Take area.

                          - Doc
                          (Daniel Myers, Blackspoon Press)

                        • Daniel Myers
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 20, 2013
                            I plan on waling them through a method for building a phonemic inventory
                            along with patterns for generating realistic-sounding words, and then
                            providing suggestions for roughing out a basic grammar. Depending on
                            how long that takes (and how many times I get sidetracked), I'll spend
                            the rest of the time discussing quirks of various languages, color
                            terms, numbers, etc.

                            - Doc

                          • Casey Borders
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 20, 2013
                              I am very excited about this! I've never had the opportunity to chat with
                              any Conlangers in person!

                              *
                              *
                              *Casey Borders*

                              On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Daniel Myers <doc@...> wrote:

                              > I plan on waling them through a method for building a phonemic inventory
                              > along with patterns for generating realistic-sounding words, and then
                              > providing suggestions for roughing out a basic grammar. Depending on
                              > how long that takes (and how many times I get sidetracked), I'll spend
                              > the rest of the time discussing quirks of various languages, color
                              > terms, numbers, etc.
                              >
                              > - Doc

                            • Adam Walker
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 20, 2013