No Coke, Peksi [sic] (was: RE: Typical lexicon size in natlangs)

  • Douglas Koller
    Message 1 of 59 , May 14 8:00 PM
      > Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 18:31:59 -0700
      > From: elemtilas@...
      > Subject: Re: Typical lexicon size in natlangs
      > To: CONLANG@...

      > --- On Tue, 5/14/13, George Corley <gacorley@...> wrote:

      > > Also, Coke and Pepsi tasting the same? I think your
      > > taste buds are off.

      > No. They just taste the same.
      > Padraic

      Can a blindfolded taste-test be far behind? Long-shot of our hapless taster at the mall...The big reveal...The squeal of delight...

      Kou
    • Juanma Barranquero
      Message 59 of 59 , May 20 8:56 AM
        On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Anthony Miles <mamercus88@...> wrote:

        > Even in an impoverished environment humans or something like them will expand vocabulary.

        Sure. But this thread discusses "typical lexicon size", and Gary
        Shannon and H. S. Teoh proposed a "bootstrap lexicon size" as a
        meaningful measure. And I'm just pointing out that I don't think it
        would be a good metric, because if you use it for many languages, and
        the resulting size varies, let's say, between X-10% and X+10% for some
        X, that does not offer any insight about the *typical* lexicon size of
        the languages so tested. Systems of vastly different complexity can
        arise from similarly simple foundations (cellular automata are a clear
        example of that).