Re: the LCC5 relay is up

  • Padraic Brown
    Message 1 of 33 , May 11, 2013
      --- On Sat, 5/11/13, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@...> wrote:

      > > Seriously, allowing more time for each leg is exactly
      > > what has led to the incredible seven month relay they've got going
      > now!
      >
      > But those seven months consist mostly of idle time! Or at
      > least, waiting
      > time. If we extend the time allowance to, say, 72 hours, but
      > with strict
      > enforcement, then there should be no problem.

      72 hours is okay, though probably excessive for most folks. Seven months
      of idle time is way beyond the Pale! So far beyond that it's practically
      in the middle of the Western Ocean!

      > > For the record, I don't much care for the idea of a computer run relay
      > > master.
      >
      > Actually, we can already do that: translate.google.com.

      ...and much hilarity was had by all! See, you don't even need to involve
      actual conlangs in the process and you can stìll end up with an utterly
      bongled final text, every bit the equal of our own relays!

      > I've no idea what turned wheat into professor, but obviously
      > it suggests
      > that wheat has hitherto unsuspected superior intellect.

      Sure. Scientifical fact, is that. Your average wheat kernel has an i.q. of
      about 12. May not seem like much, but when you consider that wheat has
      no brain and can not think, 12 is pretty damn good!

      > Also, music and footwear factories are obviously very important to the
      > proper application of the original recipé. The flaxseed was apparently
      > considered redundant, though I'm not sure about having linoleum in my
      > food...

      Ah, just break up the tiles a bit. No bean dip in the world can defeat
      your basic linoleum crisp. Guaranteed to maintain shape all the way down!

      > And soaked clothing, probably from careless spillage
      > during the
      > elaborate cooking process, no doubt. I'm not sure where
      > "Plotis Nyampur
      > organizations" came from -- perhaps subversive parties
      > plotted to steal
      > the flaxseed? And it will definitely be a tragic day at the
      > end of it
      > all, judging by how unrecognizably mangled the result was.
      > :-P
      >
      > Um...
      >
      > Oh you're talking about *conlangs*? Oh, I see... well,
      > better start
      > lobbying for the inclusion of conlangs in Google Translate!

      From the looks of things, we may not even have to involve actual conlangs
      in an Automated Conlang Relay! ;)))

      > On a more serious note, though: I think automation is a good
      > thing to
      > have as a fallback mechanism in case people start going
      > MIA. If all
      > parties were present when they're supposed to be, then the
      > automation
      > shouldn't even kick in -- the relay master should be able to
      > click on a
      > button to send a reminder to the current person, for
      > example, or to skip
      > over to the next person. Only when people suddenly
      > fall off the face of
      > the 'Net, will the automaton come along and clean up the
      > mess and prod
      > the process onwards.

      Fall back -- okay, I can go along with that rationale.

      Padraic
    • Padraic Brown
      Message 33 of 33 , May 11, 2013
        --- On Sat, 5/11/13, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@...> wrote:

        > > Seriously, allowing more time for each leg is exactly
        > > what has led to the incredible seven month relay they've got going
        > now!
        >
        > But those seven months consist mostly of idle time! Or at
        > least, waiting
        > time. If we extend the time allowance to, say, 72 hours, but
        > with strict
        > enforcement, then there should be no problem.

        72 hours is okay, though probably excessive for most folks. Seven months
        of idle time is way beyond the Pale! So far beyond that it's practically
        in the middle of the Western Ocean!

        > > For the record, I don't much care for the idea of a computer run relay
        > > master.
        >
        > Actually, we can already do that: translate.google.com.

        ...and much hilarity was had by all! See, you don't even need to involve
        actual conlangs in the process and you can stìll end up with an utterly
        bongled final text, every bit the equal of our own relays!

        > I've no idea what turned wheat into professor, but obviously
        > it suggests
        > that wheat has hitherto unsuspected superior intellect.

        Sure. Scientifical fact, is that. Your average wheat kernel has an i.q. of
        about 12. May not seem like much, but when you consider that wheat has
        no brain and can not think, 12 is pretty damn good!

        > Also, music and footwear factories are obviously very important to the
        > proper application of the original recipé. The flaxseed was apparently
        > considered redundant, though I'm not sure about having linoleum in my
        > food...

        Ah, just break up the tiles a bit. No bean dip in the world can defeat
        your basic linoleum crisp. Guaranteed to maintain shape all the way down!

        > And soaked clothing, probably from careless spillage
        > during the
        > elaborate cooking process, no doubt. I'm not sure where
        > "Plotis Nyampur
        > organizations" came from -- perhaps subversive parties
        > plotted to steal
        > the flaxseed? And it will definitely be a tragic day at the
        > end of it
        > all, judging by how unrecognizably mangled the result was.
        > :-P
        >
        > Um...
        >
        > Oh you're talking about *conlangs*? Oh, I see... well,
        > better start
        > lobbying for the inclusion of conlangs in Google Translate!

        From the looks of things, we may not even have to involve actual conlangs