50 Shades of Poet

  • Scott Hamilton
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2013
      So, it's my birthday, and I'm working on something as a present for
      myself. I'd like to collect terms that gloss to something like 'poet',
      'word smith' or (dare I say) 'cunning linguist' in as many conlangs as
      possible. Would you y'all be willing to tell me about how that would
      come out in your various conlangs? I'd love to see etymologies if you
      have them too. If you have special orthographies, I'd love to see that
      as well.

      Thank you!
      Scott
      (apologizes to those who have seen this cross-posted elsewhere)
    • Daniel Bowman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2013
        In Angosey:

        Al lenaya tha reyethya
        "The creator of words"

        The word "al" denotes the emotive noun class (people and emotions).
        "lenaya" is the verb "create" with the emotive suffix "aya" - this means
        that the speaker is invested in what she or he is saying
        "tha" is the abstract noun class
        "reyethya" is words (unknown number)

        Best,

        Danny

        2013/5/2 Scott Hamilton <lakem@...>

        > So, it's my birthday, and I'm working on something as a present for
        > myself. I'd like to collect terms that gloss to something like 'poet',
        > 'word smith' or (dare I say) 'cunning linguist' in as many conlangs as
        > possible. Would you y'all be willing to tell me about how that would
        > come out in your various conlangs? I'd love to see etymologies if you
        > have them too. If you have special orthographies, I'd love to see that
        > as well.
        >
        > Thank you!
        > Scott
        > (apologizes to those who have seen this cross-posted elsewhere)

      • Anthony Miles
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2013
          Happy birthday! I sent you a long list of potentially creative speakers in Na'gifi Fasu'xa on the LCS list, but I forgot one important category of creative speaker: the 'na'giit' and 'na'igit', the belittlers, the ridiculers, the mockers, the jesters of Na'gifi Fasu'xa.
        • Sam Stutter
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2013
            In Gyanese culture, the witch/priestess (it's hard to get a reasonable translation) serves as the repository for a tribe's stories, songs, dances and poetry, so the nearest word is going to be "skira" /'skɪ.ɹa/ - witch. Although witches are going to be better at poetry, it's likely that apprentice-witches ("layha") /'la.hja/ are going to be doing more poetry-ing to get the practice in.

            The Caccigga word is "caragna" /ka'ɹa.ɲa/ - meaning minstrel. It isn't really possible to go deeper than that etymologically. Gyanese has no native orthography and Caccigga uses the latin alphabet, so no luck on that front I'm afraid.

            Sam Stutter
            samjjs89@...
            "No e na'l cu barri"

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2013
              Happy birthday!  (My own rather unwelcome one is coming up later this month.)

              As for "poet" in my 3 languages--

              Only Kash has a word for  'poem/poetry'-- kotrinju, a compd. of kota 'word' + rinju 'music(al)'. So I've been puzzling out what the word for 'poet' could be-- something like kekotrinju or kangotrinju (both agentive prefixes)?  But I dont like those; so I'm going to have to figure something else out.....

              Both Gwr and Prevli certainly have words for this, but I haven't discovered them yet.....
            • C. Brickner
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2013
                In Senjecas there are three words that fit this description.

                ṁe̋la, 1) t.v. write-, compose-, -(poetry). 2) i.v. write-, compose-, -poetry.
                ṁe̋lis, adj. poetic.
                ṁelőőnus, poet.
                ṁe̋los, poem.

                There is one compound of this verb:
                ṁeļőmos, ballad.
                ṁéļoma̋a̋gus, balladeer.

                ļőma, i.v. tell stories, spin yarns.
                ļomőőnus, storyteller, fable writer.
                ļőmos, legend, fable, tale, saga, story, tradition.

                The prefix ”ðees-“ relates a word to the spiritual realm. Thus, ðeesļőmos means myth.

                tőőlča, t.v. narrate an epic.
                tőőlčis, adj. epic.
                toolčőőnus, epic narrator.
                tőőlčos, epic.

                There are no etymologies since, in this conculture, Senjecas is the original language.

                Charlie