Re: Consonants and Vowels

  • Leonardo Castro
    Message 1 of 81 , Apr 11, 2013
      Montalanki has 10 consonants and 5 vowels:

      /k/ /t/ /p/
      /h/ /s/ /f/
      /N/ /n/ /m/
      /l/

      /aeiou/.

      Até mais!

      Leonardo

      2013/4/11 R A Brown <ray@...>:
      > OOPS - I forgot to change the 'Reply-To' line on my previous
      > email.
      >
      > On 11/04/2013 20:40, R A Brown wrote:
      > [snip]
      >

      >> 'British Romance' = besides not yet having a proper
      >> name, there is still much else to be worked out. It is
      >> likely to have only 5 vowels,
      >

      > I forgot about schwa [ə] - it will almost have that, so it
      > will have at least 6 vowels.
      >

      > --
      > Ray
      > ==================================
      > http://www.carolandray.plus.com
      > ==================================
      > "language … began with half-musical unanalysed expressions
      > for individual beings and events."
      > [Otto Jespersen, Progress in Language, 1895]
    • Leonardo Castro
      Message 81 of 81 , May 1, 2013
        2013/5/1 Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...>:
        >> parse grammatical constructions, interpret meaning -- all within a
        >> second or so before you're unable to keep up. I know people who are
        >> excellent at reading/writing English, but falter at the slightest turn of
        >> phrase or colloquialism in conversation. Throw in local dialects /
        >> slang, and you easily have the situation Widstrand found himself in.

        I had this kind of problem in my hometown; after a long time not going
        there, I wasn't able to understand some slangs my cousins spoke on the
        streets. But they were young people that are always inventing new
        slangs.