Re: OT: Fieldwork terminology for a story

  • Dirk Elzinga
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
      There's a nice book by Bert Vaux (and someone else whose name I can't
      remember). Claire Bowern's book was already mentioned. However, beyond the
      pretty general advice in those books you pretty much just make it up as you
      go along. Every language is different and there really isn't a
      "one-size-fits-all" method. Having said that, I will say that I have found
      it helpful to get a short narrative early on (after about a month of
      phonetic / phonological / lexical work). It provides a nice springboard for
      grammatical elicitation, since after you analyze the text, you can use
      sentences from it to run through verbal / nominal paradigms. The sentences
      already have a context since they came from a narrative to begin with, so
      you don't have to go through all kinds of contortions to create contexts
      for grammatical elicitation.

      However, for me the most important thing is to make friends with your
      consultant(s). It sometimes slows down the work--my primary Goshute
      consultant liked to chat, and one of my Ute consultants really likes it
      when we go out for breakfast (my treat, of course), but it's always worth
      it in the end. (I hope I don't have to explain why.)

      Dirk

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 25, 2013
        I've noticed the change in terminology over the years. When I came along, in the late 60s/early 70s, _informant_ was just about the only term used. Gradually I''ve seen _consultant_ take over.  At first I thought it was some sort of PC-ism, but even in my experience, I worked with several people who were indeed "consultants" (and so acknowledged them in my diss.), in that they were truly experts in their languages. Others, however, were just answering my questions (and incidentally picking up a little English in the process); but nowadays, when I remember :-(, I use consultant.