Re: Request for a free children's picture textbooks/ABC suitable for all auxlangers.

  • Gleki Arxokuna
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 24 9:40 AM
      On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

      > Here you go: http://fiziwig.com/conlang/resources/mcguffey_one.html
      >
      > I have used it for various of my conlangs. It's public domain.

      Very nice. What I'm thinking about these days is a picture textbook that
      will use direct method of learning so that the text will be written only in
      one language, namely the one the textbook is written for. That's the point
      of this project.

      If you see an image of an apple and below it you see either
      "apple" (English)
      " 苹果" (Chinese)
      "яблоко" (Russian)

      no questions arise.

      Of course not all concepts can be explained that way. But many can be.
      Why not think of them now?
      There are already some projects like
      Wikijunior<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior>
      .
      But they are underdeveloped and are for English mostly.

      > --gary
      >
      > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Gleki Arxokuna
      > <gleki.is.my.name@...> wrote:
      > > I'm not posting to this group very often. In fact I might not agree with
      > some of you what auxlang will win in the future and whether it'll be a
      > constructed one. But no matter what is your favorite (English, Mandarin and
      > Bislama will also do) I request to organise a search for free open-source
      > (CreativeCommons) templates for children's textbooks that will teach them
      > any auxlang.
      > >
      > > The actions should be the following:
      > > 1. We create a template for the children's textbook (any format will do:
      > Google presentation/document, wiki-page)
      > > 2. We add pictures and text to it. All the titles will be in English at
      > first.
      > > 3. Now every auxlanger can copy this template and replace all the titles
      > with it's own language.
      > >

      > > The auxlangers' community seems to be split. Almost everyone is
      > developing their own project. So let's unite for this project!

    • Gary Shannon
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 24 10:38 AM
        Maybe you want something more like this?

        http://fiziwig.com/conlang/elomi/imupix01.html

        My only other suggestion would be to collect public domain clip art
        for the object and actions you wish to portray.

        --gary

        On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Gleki Arxokuna
        <gleki.is.my.name@...> wrote:
        > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Here you go: http://fiziwig.com/conlang/resources/mcguffey_one.html
        >>
        >> I have used it for various of my conlangs. It's public domain.
        >>

        > Very nice. What I'm thinking about these days is a picture textbook that
        > will use direct method of learning so that the text will be written only in
        > one language, namely the one the textbook is written for. That's the point
        > of this project.
        >
        > If you see an image of an apple and below it you see either
        > "apple" (English)
        > " 苹果" (Chinese)
        > "яблоко" (Russian)
        >
        > no questions arise.
        >
        > Of course not all concepts can be explained that way. But many can be.
        > Why not think of them now?
        > There are already some projects like
        > Wikijunior<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior>
        > .
        > But they are underdeveloped and are for English mostly.
        >

        >> --gary
        >>
        >> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Gleki Arxokuna
        >> <gleki.is.my.name@...> wrote:
        >> > I'm not posting to this group very often. In fact I might not agree with
        >> some of you what auxlang will win in the future and whether it'll be a
        >> constructed one. But no matter what is your favorite (English, Mandarin and
        >> Bislama will also do) I request to organise a search for free open-source
        >> (CreativeCommons) templates for children's textbooks that will teach them
        >> any auxlang.
        >> >
        >> > The actions should be the following:
        >> > 1. We create a template for the children's textbook (any format will do:
        >> Google presentation/document, wiki-page)
        >> > 2. We add pictures and text to it. All the titles will be in English at
        >> first.
        >> > 3. Now every auxlanger can copy this template and replace all the titles
        >> with it's own language.
        >> >

        >> > The auxlangers' community seems to be split. Almost everyone is
        >> developing their own project. So let's unite for this project!

      • Padraic Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25 3:50 PM
          --- On Sun, 3/24/13, Gleki Arxokuna <gleki.is.my.name@...> wrote:

          > > Here you go: http://fiziwig.com/conlang/resources/mcguffey_one.html
          > >
          > > I have used it for various of my conlangs. It's public domain.
          >

          > Very nice. What I'm thinking  about these days is a picture textbook that
          > will use direct method of learning so that the text will be written only
          > in one language, namely the one the textbook is written for. That's the
          > point of this project.

          I might be missing something, but it seems like the links given are exactly
          what you're asking for -- a picture book that's written solely in the
          conlang. All you have to do is replace the English text, whether it's the
          McGuffey reader or a generic ABC book, with your conlang text. Or are you
          looking for something else?

          Mind you, these sorts of books presume that the children reading them
          *already know* English. They're just learning to read it by use of the
          book. It's a whole nother kettle of fish to put one of these kinds of
          books in front of someone who doesn't know your conlang at all!

          > If you see an image of an apple and below it you see either
          > "apple" (English)
          > " 苹果" (Chinese)
          > "яблоко" (Russian)
          >
          > no questions arise.
          >
          > Of course not all concepts can be explained that way. But many can be.
          > Why not think of them now?

          Feel free! Any thoughts as to which you think might be harder than "apple"
          (assuming the reader knows what apple means...)?

          > There are already some projects like
          > Wikijunior<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior>
          > .
          > But they are underdeveloped and are for English mostly.

          Well, naturally, you'ld have to replace the English text with your own
          conlang's text. I think that goes without saying!

          I should do one of these for my languages...

          Aa vor AAPELEZ standat: lôcke! Wellam onhimthrêwat en rotet aapel at than
          thêfe hwicce ganget te thon yastarme!

          (Ff is for FRUIT: look! Billie throws a rotten fruit at the thief who's
          walking to the gallows! -- from "Rowna-ABC-Boq vor Barnam" or "ABC-Letter
          Book for Young Children")

          It might be of interest to note that the title, Rowna-ABC-Boq, also means
          "Mystical ABCs of Incantations". Given that these books come from the
          World, I ought not be surprised...

          Padraic