OT: Help with Spanish translation

  • phil@...
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20 7:22 AM
      An acquaintance of mine needs to apologize to a man in Argentina. He asked me to translate his text into Spanish. Although I've studied Spanish, I'm not very fluent. I'm willing to give it a go, but I thought a native speaker could do it much better and quicker. If someone would like to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

      The text is:

      "Dear Patricio,
      You are correct in saying that my comments say everything about me and nothing about your film. As strange as it may sound, coming from me, I enjoyed your homage to a beautiful old press coming to a new home. The music, the camera work, the editing made for an enjoyable entertainment. You know your craft well.

      I cannot apologize to you for my sense of humor. Taken out of context from a conversation I was having with a friend, it can only seem strange and hurtful. I can apologize to you for that, however. I certainly did not mean for my comments to go out onto the LetPress list. I am sincerely sorry for any hurt I have caused you.

      With many regrets,"

      Thanks for your help,
      Ph. D.
      phil@...

    • Leonardo Castro
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 8:01 AM
        I could translate this into an understandable Spanish, althought I
        could not guarantee that it would be grammatically and idiomatically
        correct.

        Até mais!

        Leonardo

        2013/3/20 <phil@...>:
        > An acquaintance of mine needs to apologize to a man in Argentina. He asked me to translate his text into Spanish. Although I've studied Spanish, I'm not very fluent. I'm willing to give it a go, but I thought a native speaker could do it much better and quicker. If someone would like to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.
        >
        > The text is:
        >
        > "Dear Patricio,
        > You are correct in saying that my comments say everything about me and nothing about your film. As strange as it may sound, coming from me, I enjoyed your homage to a beautiful old press coming to a new home. The music, the camera work, the editing made for an enjoyable entertainment. You know your craft well.
        >
        > I cannot apologize to you for my sense of humor. Taken out of context from a conversation I was having with a friend, it can only seem strange and hurtful. I can apologize to you for that, however. I certainly did not mean for my comments to go out onto the LetPress list. I am sincerely sorry for any hurt I have caused you.
        >
        > With many regrets,"
        >

        > Thanks for your help,
        > Ph. D.
        > phil@...

      • Leonardo Castro
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 8:08 AM
          BTW, most of my experience with Spanish comes from watching the
          original Chespirito, Chapulín and El Chavo del Ocho shows on YouTube.
          Many of their jokes involve puns in Spanish and are impossible to
          translate even to Portuguese (for instance, those that involve the
          fact that "v" and "b" sound the same).

          Até mais!

          Leonardo