"English has the most words of any language"

  • Daniel Bowman
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 18, 2013
      Hey all,

      I was talking to someone today, and he stated that English has the most words of any language. I'm pretty suspicious when I hear such claims, and he did not have direct evidence to back up his assertion. However, he is one of the smartest and most knowledgeable people I know, and his father happened to be chair of the department of linguistics at one point. It's hard to chalk his claim up to ignorance or misinformation, so I started wondering: is this in fact true?

      I was wondering what list members think. Is this something that's been claimed before, and if so, how is it regarded in the linguistic community? Does anyone have a (reputable or suspicious) source that says English has the most words? If this is a legitimate claim, how is it determined?

      Danny
    • Patrick Dunn
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 27, 2013

        > Argue what you will, then.
        >
        > Padraic

        Thanks. Your permission means a lot to me.

        --Patrick

        order from Finishing Line
        and