CHAT: Does etymology awareness affect your speech?

  • Leonardo Castro
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 18 12:49 PM
      Hi!

      Being aware of the origin of some words changed the way I use them. I
      usually start avoiding "less etymological" usages while favoring a
      more restricted usage of each word. My speech ends up having less
      synonyms than other people's speech.

      Does something similar happen to you?

      Até mais!

      Leonardo
    • George Corley
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 23 10:35 AM
        On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Matthew George <matt.msg@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM, George Corley <gacorley@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > What exactly are you talking about?
        >

        > The introduction of 'borrow' as a synonym for 'loan'. It's a very
        > different case from the use of 'learn' as you describe.
        >
        > I have no prescriptivist impulses regarding 'learn' - it's the borrow-loan
        > shift that I'm rejecting.

        Alright. I will say that "borrow" for "loan" is not something that I
        immediately recognize, and even have the same intuition as you (that the
        interlocutor is being asked to borrow something on behalf of the speaker).
        Still, it exists and should be accounted for, regardless of whether either
        of us accept it intuitively, and we can easily do by comparing it to a
        pattern that exists cross-linguistically.