Re: Methods or software for creating grammars and dictionaries

  • George Marques
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
      >> Toolbox (and I hope FLEx, which is after all a descendant of Toolbox) does
      >> reverse word list export, as you can see in my dictionary (which combines a
      >> Moten-English dictionary and an English-Moten reverse word list).
      >> Unfortunately, it lacks the ability to export to a format usable by LaTeX.
      >> That's my big stumbling block at the moment. That's why I'm curious about
      >> FLEx's export capabilities...
      >> --
      >> Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.
      >>

      > I took a look at your dictionary and its format indeed looks like
      > something very usable and something I'd aim at. I was wondering how
      > readable the database format of the SIL software is. If it's easily done,
      > there's always the possibility of writing your own script that reads the
      > database in and parses dictionary items in LaTeX format into a tex file. It
      > might require a bit of research but apart from that should be pretty
      > straight forward.
      >
      > -Jyri

      AFAIK Toolbox format is pure text and easily parseable, so it shouldn't be hard to write such a script. FLEx can export to the same format.

      :. George Marques
      :. http://georgemarques.com.br
    • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
        On 16 March 2013 10:26, Jyri Lehtinen <lehtinen.jyri@...> wrote:

        > I took a look at your dictionary and its format indeed looks like
        > something very usable and something I'd aim at.

        Thanks! Most of it was just getting the right format for the entries in the
        Toolbox database. The export system did most of the rest. SIL software is
        well known to be quite good, if sometimes a bit quirky :) .

        On 16 March 2013 14:55, George Marques <georgemjesus@...> wrote:

        > AFAIK Toolbox format is pure text and easily parseable, so it shouldn't be
        > hard to write such a script. FLEx can export to the same format.

        Correct. The Toolbox database is just a plain text file with a bunch of
        TeX-like tags (i.e. starting with \). It *should* be relatively easy to
        parse. The problem is: I've never written parsing scripts, not even small
        ones. There are some Toolbox format parsers out there, but most of them are
        outdated and/or buggy. Writing a parser *should* be within my abilities,
        but it requires a lot of time and effort for me, which I just don't have
        available right now. But in the long term: sure! :)
        --
        Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

        http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/