Re: Methods or software for creating grammars and dictionaries

  • Herman Miller
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
      On 3/15/2013 2:10 AM, James Kane wrote:
      > Hi all
      >
      > I am newish to conlanging and so far my attempts are all recorded in
      > either (very) unorganised paper form or on Microsoft Excel which isn't
      > the best way to store a lexicon. Most of the grammars of the languages
      > exist mostly in my head.
      >
      > I was wondering what people's methods were for documenting their
      > conlangs; what specific programs or software do you find very useful?
      > How do you structure dictionary entries or grammar points? Is there a
      > link to a resource that could help in this aspect?

      I just use Word documents for my lexicons. I use bold for the English
      glosses for easy searching. I have vocabulary organized into categories
      (colors, parts of the body, kinds of musical instruments, etc.)

      > For people with conscripts, how do you store those on the computer? I
      > have a fair computer and internet literacy.

      I use a really old copy of Macromedia Fontographer from 1996 to create
      TrueType fonts. These days there are probably better options, but it's
      what I'm familiar with.
    • Jyri Lehtinen
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013

        > Toolbox (and I hope FLEx, which is after all a descendant of Toolbox) does
        > reverse word list export, as you can see in my dictionary (which combines a
        > Moten-English dictionary and an English-Moten reverse word list).
        > Unfortunately, it lacks the ability to export to a format usable by LaTeX.
        > That's my big stumbling block at the moment. That's why I'm curious about
        > FLEx's export capabilities...
        > --
        > Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

        I took a look at your dictionary and its format indeed looks like
        something very usable and something I'd aim at. I was wondering how
        readable the database format of the SIL software is. If it's easily done,
        there's always the possibility of writing your own script that reads the
        database in and parses dictionary items in LaTeX format into a tex file. It
        might require a bit of research but apart from that should be pretty
        straight forward.

        -Jyri
      • George Marques
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
          >> Toolbox (and I hope FLEx, which is after all a descendant of Toolbox) does
          >> reverse word list export, as you can see in my dictionary (which combines a
          >> Moten-English dictionary and an English-Moten reverse word list).
          >> Unfortunately, it lacks the ability to export to a format usable by LaTeX.
          >> That's my big stumbling block at the moment. That's why I'm curious about
          >> FLEx's export capabilities...
          >> --
          >> Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.
          >>

          > I took a look at your dictionary and its format indeed looks like
          > something very usable and something I'd aim at. I was wondering how
          > readable the database format of the SIL software is. If it's easily done,
          > there's always the possibility of writing your own script that reads the
          > database in and parses dictionary items in LaTeX format into a tex file. It
          > might require a bit of research but apart from that should be pretty
          > straight forward.
          >
          > -Jyri

          AFAIK Toolbox format is pure text and easily parseable, so it shouldn't be hard to write such a script. FLEx can export to the same format.

          :. George Marques
          :. http://georgemarques.com.br
        • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
            On 16 March 2013 10:26, Jyri Lehtinen <lehtinen.jyri@...> wrote:

            > I took a look at your dictionary and its format indeed looks like
            > something very usable and something I'd aim at.

            Thanks! Most of it was just getting the right format for the entries in the
            Toolbox database. The export system did most of the rest. SIL software is
            well known to be quite good, if sometimes a bit quirky :) .

            On 16 March 2013 14:55, George Marques <georgemjesus@...> wrote:

            > AFAIK Toolbox format is pure text and easily parseable, so it shouldn't be
            > hard to write such a script. FLEx can export to the same format.

            Correct. The Toolbox database is just a plain text file with a bunch of
            TeX-like tags (i.e. starting with \). It *should* be relatively easy to
            parse. The problem is: I've never written parsing scripts, not even small
            ones. There are some Toolbox format parsers out there, but most of them are
            outdated and/or buggy. Writing a parser *should* be within my abilities,
            but it requires a lot of time and effort for me, which I just don't have
            available right now. But in the long term: sure! :)
            --
            Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

            http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/