Notice of a new conlang (was: How to choose the name of a conlang?)

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
      On 08/03/2013 16:16, R A Brown wrote:
      [snip]

      > As a result of a recent Conlang thread and subsequent
      > private emails following it, another conlang will be
      > coming along - but I'll post more info at a later date.
      > The name has not yet been determined (tho it _might_ be
      > named according criterion A above).

      The name is still to be determined! But I have posted a page
      about the language:
      http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Britannic/index.html

      I know the page will read as heresy to some ;)

      But it is something I have been urged to do by more than one
      person in the past. So far I've hesitated, not least
      because of the thought of turning out "yet another Romance
      conlang."

      Meanwhile work is progressing slowing on Outidic. A page on
      pronouns is online and one on prepositions, conjunctions etc
      is under construction:
      http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Outis/Pronouns.html
      http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Outis/Prep_Conj_Adv.html

      There is also a PDF document with some Outidic vocabulary:
      http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Outis/Vocabulary.pdf

      I intend to finish the Outidic pages first, before
      developing the British Romlang.

      for individual beings and events."
    • Anthony Miles
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 15, 2013
        > I can't decide a name of the language I have been sketching for a long
        > time. Those are some patterns of language name I have recognized:
        >
        > A. "language-spoken-by-people-X": English, Français, Português,
        > tlhIngan Hol (?), etc.

        I'm all over the map on this. Siye and Ulok, both Martian tongues, mean "speech/to speak". The other Martian language, Utu Nes, the extinct language of the Ulok capital of the Kingdom of Nesa has name that relates to dreaming (maybe; the records are sparse). Koha, believe it or not, is ultimately from "(die) Deutsche (Sprache)", but in Koha is just the Koha name for Koha (German is "ki Koha ho Elopa" - "the Koha of Europe"). Na'gifi Fasu'xa means "Common Tongue". Cheyoon (also known as Mermish) might mean something, but I don't know what. Fortunatian and its various translations is the name of the place where Fortunatian is spoken. Wy 'Luthwy (a crude Hellenic analog to Brithenig) means "The Speech". Kingspeech is an exonym applied to the speech of the Kingsmen by the Transpositive Men. I don't recall what the the Ri' of naReNga Ri' is, and my dictionary is at home, but naReNga means tongue. Gweiric is an ethnonym as well as a language name, and its older name, Lahabic, just means "of the island". Ngiaera (not yet posted) is a name I picked to illustrate some of the salient features of Ngiaera. And of course, many are just "numbered conlangs".

        > B. "good language": Toki Pona, Nhengatu, etc.
        > C. "universal/international/World language": Mundolinco,
        > Universalglot, Interlingua, etc.
        > D. some nice sounding word: Esperanto, any other?
        Sibulu probably falls into this one.

        > E. a name related to the features of the language: Lojban, Loglan...
        > F. "language-of-person-X": Xorban, any other?

        > G. "this-language-I'm-speaking-right-now": this could be done with a
        > specific pronoun.
      • Jim Henry
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 16, 2013
          On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:
          > E. a name related to the features of the language: Lojban, Loglan...

          gjâ-zym-byn's primary name glosses as "language-thought-hack", a
          language for experimenting with thought. But:

          > G. "this-language-I'm-speaking-right-now": this could be done with a
          > specific pronoun.

          In writing in gzb, I often refer to it as "gjâ kŏ", "language this".

          Most of my other languages are named for their speakers. Lusanja is a
          nominalization of a first person plural verb, "we speak".

          --
          Jim Henry
          http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/