Re: Old Georgian

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2013
      I've asked a Georgian acquaintance of mine (a Facebook friend, actually).
      Let's see what she comes up with.

      stevo

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Matthew Boutilier
      <bvticvlarivs@...>wrote:

      > I have been really into Georgian lately, and Caucasian languages in
      > general, and am making reasonable progress on the (very first baby steps of
      > the) grammar. But I am growing more and more interested in the OLD GEORGIAN
      > phase -- it seems like there is probably some very interesting stuff there
      > -- but cannot find any books or websites dedicated to the study of Old
      > Georgian (spoken from c. 400 - 1000 AD or so, according to Wikipedia).
      >
      > Does anybody have suggestions for further reading materials on this?
      >
      > გმადლობთ
      > matt

    • David McCann
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2013
        On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:33:27 -0500
        Matthew Boutilier <bvticvlarivs@...> wrote:

        > I have been really into Georgian lately, and Caucasian languages in
        > general, and am making reasonable progress on the (very first baby
        > steps of the) grammar. But I am growing more and more interested in
        > the OLD GEORGIAN phase -- it seems like there is probably some very
        > interesting stuff there -- but cannot find any books or websites
        > dedicated to the study of Old Georgian (spoken from c. 400 - 1000 AD
        > or so, according to Wikipedia).
        >
        > Does anybody have suggestions for further reading materials on this?

        There's a chapter in the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Ancient Languages by
        Kevin Tuite. He refers to The Indigenous Languages of the Caucasus
        (ed. A. C. Harris): Vol. 1, The Kartvelian Languages. The rest of his
        references are to works in Georgian. La langue géorgienne (N. Marr & M.
        Brière, 1931) is a grammar of Old Georgian.