Re: THEORY: Asperger syndrome and hyperpolyglotism.

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9 11:33 PM
      On 10/03/2013 02:55, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
      [snip]

      > I guess that's enough for now.

      Yes - but it is useful for people to know, I think. I think
      the frankness of your comments is commendable and helpful.

      > This is particularly off-topic, so it might be better to
      > take it off-list if you want more information. Just one
      > last thing: what I wrote is very simplified, and everyone
      > is different. Every Autist (whether someone with Asperger
      > syndrome, another form of HFA, or any form of classic
      > Autism) is a unique person with a unique behaviour. What
      > I wrote about are generalities, common traits that are
      > often found in people on the Autism Spectrum. They are
      > not absolute universals of Autistic behaviour.

      Absolutely - at least that was my experience as a lecturer
      in Computer Science. Several of students during those years
      (I'm retired now) had varying degrees of autism/ Asperger's
      Syndrome - _all_ were very different. As Christophe said,
      they were not robots, but all as individually different as
      everyone else.

      > In a way, they are like linguistic universals: mere
      > trends, statistically likely, but you'll always find
      > someone who breaks them.

      In the words of Poirot: "Précisement, mon ami!"

      for individual beings and events."
    • James Kane
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10 1:23 AM
        Thank you for that explanation - it is very informative and you're openness helps other people to understand. Personally I have one HFA friend who doesn't seem at all different other than sometimes he is a bit selfish or can throw small tantrums, although he usually overcorrects the selfishness and is a very nice guy. And also quite socially adept.

        However other people I know without (diagnosed) HFA also act in this way, sometimes to even greater degrees. I think most of these people are just plain selfish.

        James