Re: Online Moten Dictionary

  • George Corley
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 9, 2013
      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <
      tsela.cg@...> wrote:

      > But I don't understand why we're having this discussion. I am *not* going
      > to change Moten's orthography. I was just musing about the time when I
      > considered to do so. That time is past, and no argument is going to make me
      > change my mind on that.

      It could be useful to other conlangers whose orthographies are not set in
      stone yet.

      > On 8 March 2013 18:26, George Corley <gacorley@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Someone knows the word, but not what language it comes from, either
      > because
      > > it was posted somewhere with insufficient information, or they are
      > > remembering the word but not where they saw it last.
      > >

      > That's an awfully specific scenario to change an entire orthography for.

      This is only the scenario where optimizing for Google would be important,
      and it could become quite a common one if you conlang were to become
      popular for some reason. Seeing as yours is not one of the conlangs riding
      along the back of a popular book/TV/movie franchise, that's still unlikely.

      There could be other arguments to be made. Readers will have no idea what
      the pipe means without reading a pronunciation guide (the only natlang use
      I can think of is the dental click, which will of course be vanishingly
      rare). Again, I don't care if you change your orthography, but this could
      be something for other conlangers to think about.