Spam and Other Tasty Things was Re: [CONLANG] conlang@listserv.brown.edu

  • Padraic Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
      Funny you should mention. This is actually a Talarian delicacy (ordinary
      delicacy, nòt what you'd find around Yule!, and therefore rather edible):

      qarmâcamtâcalcaryyâlffrûcâsaltôhaxwiotâmtâsumtôspamtraspaltaxowyyârramffi

      qarmâ-camtâ-calcar âlffrûcâ-saltôs haxwio-tâmtâ-sumtôs pamtra-spalta-xowyyani-hamffi

      karma-happiness-bowl-all-meat-spicy.paste-serpentine-meat-smoky-five-
      wonderful-egg-around

      So, something like "happy dish containing Spam brand meat paste, smoked
      bacon and five-egg-dish".

      Difficulty: Talarians don't have a specific word for "meat". The above
      could, if uttered in the proper universe, translate an entirely vegetarian
      meal: âlffrûcâ-saltôs can refer to something like Spam, or sausage or
      even goober paste or vegemite. They also don't have a word for bacon.
      haxwio-tâmtâ-sumtôs literally means "snake-shaped meat/nuts/fruit/bread
      smoked", so could refer to bacon, or could refer to (smoked!) fruit roll-
      ups or even (smoked!) pretzels.

      In and of itself, pamtra-spalta-xowyyar refers to a particular Talarian
      egg dish, something like quiche, and as you have probably figured out by
      now, it made with five different kinds of eggs. Usually, different kinds
      of chicken eggs, but duck (non-balutified!), goose or what-have-you are
      all fair game. The cheese will generally be some sort of bovine, though
      camel, goat or even oliphant are not outside the realm of possibility.

      Padraic

      > ObConlang: how do you express the above in your conlang?
      > ;-)

      > PNP = Plug 'N' Pray

    • H. S. Teoh
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
        On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 06:43:51PM -0800, Padraic Brown wrote:
        > Funny you should mention. This is actually a Talarian delicacy
        > (ordinary delicacy, nòt what you'd find around Yule!, and therefore
        > rather edible):
        >
        > qarmâcamtâcalcaryyâlffrûcâsaltôhaxwiotâmtâsumtôspamtraspaltaxowyyârramffi
        >
        > qarmâ-camtâ-calcar âlffrûcâ-saltôs haxwio-tâmtâ-sumtôs pamtra-spalta-xowyyani-hamffi
        >
        > karma-happiness-bowl-all-meat-spicy.paste-serpentine-meat-smoky-five-
        > wonderful-egg-around
        >
        > So, something like "happy dish containing Spam brand meat paste,
        > smoked bacon and five-egg-dish".

        Whoa. That's a quite a mouthful of a dish name! (pun intended :-P)

        > Difficulty: Talarians don't have a specific word for "meat". The above
        > could, if uttered in the proper universe, translate an entirely
        > vegetarian meal: âlffrûcâ-saltôs can refer to something like Spam, or
        > sausage or even goober paste or vegemite. They also don't have a word
        > for bacon. haxwio-tâmtâ-sumtôs literally means "snake-shaped
        > meat/nuts/fruit/bread smoked", so could refer to bacon, or could refer
        > to (smoked!) fruit roll- ups or even (smoked!) pretzels.
        [...]

        And in the Ferochromon (the universe where Ebisédian is spoken), it
        might as well refer to something that's neither meat nor vegetable...
        :-P

        English is useful because it is a mess. Since English is a mess, it maps
        well onto the problem space, which is also a mess, which we call
        reality. Similarly, Perl was designed to be a mess, though in the
        nicests of all possible ways. -- Larry Wall