Re: Kindles (was: Re: OT: Middle Egyptian dictionary/grammar in Russian

  • A. da Mek
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 7:44 AM
      > Is it worth having (buying, toting around) a Kindle just as a pdf reader?

      The advantage of toting around a Kindle is that you can utilise those short
      bits of time which would be otherwise lost - traveling in subway, waiting in
      queue in supermarket, etc. (For longer work with .pdf files, there are
      probably other devices which would be more suitable.)
      Another advantage is that the display is passive and thus more pleasant for
      eyes than the active display of a computer.

      > Pdfs formatted for standard printed pages remain readable?

      This question has two levels:
      1) The width of 800 pixels in the landscape mode is fully capable to display
      texts which are formated sanely, that is about 60 characters per line. Even
      an "economically" formated document with 90 characters per line is still
      rendered without much bluring. Documents scanned as an opended book, with
      two pages side by side, are already in some degree blured, but the letters
      are still easily recognisable.
      2) But the diagonal is only 6 inch. Of course, characters and pictures on
      the 6 inch display seen from the distance of one foot have the same size as
      on the 12 inch display seen fom the distance of two feet - if you eye is
      young enough to focus on so short distance, or if I take glasses slightly
      stronger than I am using to watch computer screen. So the reading of a .pdf
      file is not so comfortable as reading a .mobi file (which can be easily
      converted from .epub, .html and other sane formats) where you can choose she
      font size.
      (The .pdf files which are not locked could be converted, but supprisingly
      there is no software which would convert it correctly. Each line is taken as
      a separate paragraph and the images are lost.)

      > On the Kindle I've seen, the text is formatted for a much smaller page
      > size, more like what you'd expect from A6 or suchlike. My phone has a
      > resolution of 480 x 800, which makes pdfs viewable only with pain and
      > inconvenience.

      If you phone shows the .pdf in landscape mode, then the 800 pixel width is
      the same as on Kindle.

      > Are pdfs annotatable and are the annotations easy to export in a
      > meaningful way (so that one can tell which part of the text they pertain
      > to)?

      The notes made on the device are stored in another format than those made on
      the Kindle viewer under Windows. (This seems silly; is it not only a mater
      of different versions?)

      > Is the onscreen keyboard (ABCDE rather than QWERTY in the pics I've seen)
      > usable without pain?

      I have the simplest model without touchscreen, so the selecting of keys on
      the onscreen keyboard (yes, ABCDE) is done by cursor and thus notes longer
      than one or two words would be very time-consuming.