Re: THEORY: Bilinguals Find It Easier to Learn a Third Language

  • G. van der Vegt
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2013
      On 4 March 2013 07:27, J. 'Mach' Wust <j_mach_wust@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 17:11:03 -0500, Carsten Becker wrote:
      >
      >> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 14:59:29 -0300, Leonardo Castro wrote:
      >>
      >>> BTW, in regard to the claim that "adults will never speak a
      >>>second language as a native", it's interesting to consider that
      >>>many natives will never speak "as natives" either. I mean, some
      >>>people from a language dialectal zone just _can't_ speak like the
      >>>natives of other places.
      >>>>
      >> Just an anecdote to share apropos of this – the state of
      >>Baden-Württemberg even made an advertisement slogan from that
      >>insight: "Wir können alles, außer Hochdeutsch" – "We can do
      >>anything, except speak Standard German" :)
      >
      > In the PISA tests (the OECD's Programme for International
      > Student Assessment), German-speaking Swiss children had higher
      > scores in language skills than children from Germany. Of course,
      > there can be lots of reasons for that, but one reason might be the
      > sort of bilingualism that comes from German-speaking Swiss being
      > able to consciously switch between the dialect and the standard
      > language.

      Interestingly, whenever Netherlanders and Flemish Belgians are pitted
      against eachother in contests based on command of the Dutch language,
      this seems to be echoed. The Flemish Belgians score much better on
      average, and like the German-speaking Swiss, they have more immediate
      exposure to a 'foreign' language in childhood.
    • Krista D. Casada
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
        I find this Chinese-Spanish translation idea humorous because, when I am struggling to express myself in Arabic (a third-ish language), it's not English (my first) that comes out. It's Spanish (the second).

        Krista C.
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
          On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:21:47PM +0000, Krista D. Casada wrote:
          > I find this Chinese-Spanish translation idea humorous because, when I
          > am struggling to express myself in Arabic (a third-ish language), it's
          > not English (my first) that comes out. It's Spanish (the second).
          [...]

          I grew up with Hokkien (L1), Mandarin, English, and Malay. The first
          three are still in active use, but, being in Canada now, I have not used
          Malay for a very long time, and can no longer actively recall much of
          the vocabulary. Now that I've starting learning Russian, whenever I
          struggle to recall a Malay word, it's Russian that comes flooding into
          my brain instead. :-P

          Questions are the beginning of intelligence, but the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
        • Krista D. Casada
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
            Well, that's useful! At least your newest stays "on top." My older new ones want to be first. (I occasionally have the terrible feeling that my brain is divided in half, with my L1 on one side and everything else scrambling for space on the other.)

            Krista
            On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:21:47PM +0000, Krista D. Casada wrote:
            > I find this Chinese-Spanish translation idea humorous because, when I
            > am struggling to express myself in Arabic (a third-ish language), it's
            > not English (my first) that comes out. It's Spanish (the second).
            [...]

            I grew up with Hokkien (L1), Mandarin, English, and Malay. The first
            three are still in active use, but, being in Canada now, I have not used
            Malay for a very long time, and can no longer actively recall much of
            the vocabulary. Now that I've starting learning Russian, whenever I
            struggle to recall a Malay word, it's Russian that comes flooding into
            my brain instead. :-P

            Questions are the beginning of intelligence, but the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
          • H. S. Teoh
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
              On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:41:03PM +0000, Krista D. Casada wrote:
              > Well, that's useful! At least your newest stays "on top." My older new
              > ones want to be first. (I occasionally have the terrible feeling that
              > my brain is divided in half, with my L1 on one side and everything
              > else scrambling for space on the other.)
              [...]

              This isn't the first time this is brought up on this list. A long while
              back, there was a discussion about how we seem to have separate "slots"
              for the language we acquired in our youth, but after a certain age, it
              seems there's only one slot left for "foreign language", whatever that
              may be, and trying to learn more than one at a time causes one to "crowd
              out" the other(s).

              Now I'm concerned that this is happening not only to languages I
              acquired later in life, but also to childhood languages that haven't
              been in active use. :-(

              "You know, maybe we don't *need* enemies." "Yeah, best friends are about all I can take." -- Calvin & Hobbes
            • Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                For those experiencing difficulty recalling a language they haven't used in
                some time, I suggest a method I stumbled on that works for me.
                Spend a day immersed in that one language, reading and listening to it,
                speaking it aloud to yourself or others if possible. Sleep on it. The next
                day, your old facility is back. Sort of as if you had reminded your brain
                where the old connections were.
                I think memory is stored inn the whole brain, like a hologram, not just a
                few cells.

                Interesting experiment reported recently of researchers putting human brain
                glia cells into mice brains. The treated mice outperformed control mice in
                learning mazes and in memory tests. Maybe it's not the size of the brain,
                but the kind of components and their organization?
                God bless you always, all ways,
                Paul

                On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@...> wrote:

                > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:41:03PM +0000, Krista D. Casada wrote:
                > > Well, that's useful! At least your newest stays "on top." My older new
                > > ones want to be first. (I occasionally have the terrible feeling that
                > > my brain is divided in half, with my L1 on one side and everything
                > > else scrambling for space on the other.)
                > [...]
                >
                > This isn't the first time this is brought up on this list. A long while
                > back, there was a discussion about how we seem to have separate "slots"
                > for the language we acquired in our youth, but after a certain age, it
                > seems there's only one slot left for "foreign language", whatever that
                > may be, and trying to learn more than one at a time causes one to "crowd
                > out" the other(s).
                >
                > Now I'm concerned that this is happening not only to languages I
                > acquired later in life, but also to childhood languages that haven't
                > been in active use. :-(

                > "You know, maybe we don't *need* enemies." "Yeah, best friends are about
                > all I can take." -- Calvin & Hobbes

              • Krista D. Casada
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                  Interesting notions . . .
                  For those experiencing difficulty recalling a language they haven't used in
                  some time, I suggest a method I stumbled on that works for me.
                  Spend a day immersed in that one language, reading and listening to it,
                  speaking it aloud to yourself or others if possible. Sleep on it. The next
                  day, your old facility is back. Sort of as if you had reminded your brain
                  where the old connections were.
                  I think memory is stored inn the whole brain, like a hologram, not just a
                  few cells.

                  Interesting experiment reported recently of researchers putting human brain
                  glia cells into mice brains. The treated mice outperformed control mice in
                  learning mazes and in memory tests. Maybe it's not the size of the brain,
                  but the kind of components and their organization?
                  God bless you always, all ways,
                  Paul

                  On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@...> wrote:

                  > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:41:03PM +0000, Krista D. Casada wrote:
                  > > Well, that's useful! At least your newest stays "on top." My older new
                  > > ones want to be first. (I occasionally have the terrible feeling that
                  > > my brain is divided in half, with my L1 on one side and everything
                  > > else scrambling for space on the other.)
                  > [...]
                  >
                  > This isn't the first time this is brought up on this list. A long while
                  > back, there was a discussion about how we seem to have separate "slots"
                  > for the language we acquired in our youth, but after a certain age, it
                  > seems there's only one slot left for "foreign language", whatever that
                  > may be, and trying to learn more than one at a time causes one to "crowd
                  > out" the other(s).
                  >
                  > Now I'm concerned that this is happening not only to languages I
                  > acquired later in life, but also to childhood languages that haven't
                  > been in active use. :-(

                  > "You know, maybe we don't *need* enemies." "Yeah, best friends are about
                  > all I can take." -- Calvin & Hobbes

                • H. S. Teoh
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                    On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:37:46PM -0500, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM wrote:
                    [...]
                    > Interesting experiment reported recently of researchers putting human
                    > brain glia cells into mice brains. The treated mice outperformed
                    > control mice in learning mazes and in memory tests. Maybe it's not the
                    > size of the brain, but the kind of components and their organization?
                    [...]

                    I've always been skeptical about the claim that intelligence is
                    correlated with brain size. I like this idea that it's what components
                    are in there, that makes the difference.

                    "Hi." "'Lo."
                  • Leonardo Castro
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                      2013/3/12 H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@...>:
                      > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:21:47PM +0000, Krista D. Casada wrote:
                      >> I find this Chinese-Spanish translation idea humorous because, when I
                      >> am struggling to express myself in Arabic (a third-ish language), it's
                      >> not English (my first) that comes out. It's Spanish (the second).
                      > [...]
                      >
                      > I grew up with Hokkien (L1), Mandarin, English, and Malay. The first
                      > three are still in active use, but, being in Canada now, I have not used
                      > Malay for a very long time, and can no longer actively recall much of
                      > the vocabulary. Now that I've starting learning Russian, whenever I
                      > struggle to recall a Malay word, it's Russian that comes flooding into
                      > my brain instead. :-P

                      Someone has told me that those who want to learn several languages
                      should learn them in order of similarity, because it will make the
                      learning process easier. But, as someone interested in Comparative
                      Linguistics, I tend to do the opposite.

                      > Questions are the beginning of intelligence, but the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
                    • Dustfinger Batailleur
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                        This. I had a similar experience with Russian, Hebrew, and English. When I
                        moved to Canada, Russian and English remained in use and Hebrew faded away.
                        After learning French through the school system, whenever I try to remember
                        a Hebrew word French words usually come to mind.