Re: USAGE: Do foreign names sound like phrases in Chinese?

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2013
      --- On Sat, 3/2/13, yuri <yuridg@...> wrote:

      On 2 March 2013 05:17, H. S. Teoh wrote:
      >  So be careful who is transliterating your name, as someone with not the best
      > of intentions may deliberately mangle it in embarrassing ways. And yes,
      > some names do sound very funny, especially if it was not properly chosen
      > to avoid the wrong connotations.

      I had a linguistics lecturer at uni who told us that when she went to
      Thailand (I think it was Thailand - it might've been somewhere else)
      the locals got great amusement from putting tones onto her surname
      "Dawson" to render it as "small penis".

      LOL. As I've mentioned before, that's frequently what the Gwr do with other Gwr and foreign names (but not to one's face), though I don't actually have any good examples handy, though I've tried...... Best one sofar-- they refer to Kash people as _ka-h chi-r_ 'lazy awkward' or _ka-h chih-r_ 'lazy lewd'. (The Kash return the favor by calling Gwrs _feliyoç [fe'li(j)oS]_ 'fools' (but using the inanimate plural).