Tonogenesis

  • Patrick Dunn
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 1 10:57 PM
      So now I'm looking at tonogenesis. I'm thinking perhaps that stops will
      raise the tone of the preceding vowel, while fricatives will lower it,
      which appears to be an attested stage in the development of Sino-Tibetan
      languages (yes?). I'm toying with the notion that perhaps there will be
      two forms of words, one free-standing with a final consonant, and one with
      a tone that combines in compounds, so, just as an example:

      sak -- person
      taf -- make a sound
      sátaf -- language; to speak

      Other ideas in re: tonogenesis, or comments on the plausibility of such a
      system?

      order from Finishing Line
      and
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 4 7:43 AM
        My understanding of tonogenesis is that is depends on vd/vl initial stops. Vl --> high tone, voiced --> low tone ( often with devoicing, either via a breathy voice stage (Khmer I think), or maybe pre-glottalization). The Chamic langs. have been influenced by both Khmer and Vietnamese. James Matisoff is THE expert, I don't know how much of his work is online; he did write a paper on Tonogenesis and has theorized extensively about it.

        Quite possibly medial/final consonants also play a role, maybe esp. in the development of rising/falling or other complex tones.....

        In Gwr (my tonal conlang) even the vowels/diphthongs can have an effect, /i, u/ being 'high',  /a/ being low. It depended too on whether the *form was CVCV or CVCVC.