Re: Related to the recent discussion about counting the number of possible English sentences

  • H. S. Teoh
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 28, 2013
      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:58:02PM -0500, MorphemeAddict wrote:
      > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I suppose definite/indefinite gets a lot of use in English precisely
      > > because it's simple and available. Plus, there are many situations
      > > where it can't be omitted formally.
      > >
      > > As for abolishing ambiguity - what do very precise conlangs do when
      > > the speaker *wants* to convey ambiguity?
      > >

      > At a guess: "Can't do it. Get over it."
      [...]

      If the precise conlang can handle a union or superposition of multiple
      meanings (presumeably in a precise way that indicates exactly what the
      possibilities are), then this would be possible.

      Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    • Leonardo Castro
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 2, 2013
        2013/3/2 Roger Mills <romiltz@...>:
        > --- On Fri, 3/1/13, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:
        >
        >> In Spanish, the masculine definite article is identical to the nominative
        >> of the masculine pronoun (though in writing, the pronoun is spelled with an
        >> acute accent to disambiguate).
        >
        > Only in the singular: el libro (the book) vs. él (he). In the plural it's
        > "los libros" (the books) vs. ellos (they [m or mixed]).
        >
        > stevo
        >
        > Also, I believe the pronominal forms _lo_
        >> and _la_ (object forms of some kind -- often cliticised to the verb) are
        >> also used as a kind of article, though I'm not sure what to call it.

        > lo is the masc. object pronoun; la of course is the fem. def. art and also the object pronoun (plural ellas, las parallel with ellos, los.)
        >
        > lo is also used to form "neuter" nouns < adjectives, but with a special meaning-- lo bueno can be just "the good", but more often I think means 'the good thing is....' or 'the good part is...' I'm not sure you can use it with every adjective

        In Portuguese, the object pronouns have exactly the same form of the
        definite articles: "o, a, os, as" . But sometimes the object pronouns
        can be written as "lo, la, los, las / no, na, nos, nas" for
        phonotactics reasons.