Re: OT: Middle Egyptian dictionary/grammar in Russian

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2013
      On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Demian Terentev <mnyonpa@...> wrote:

      > http://www.egyptology.ru/petrovskij.htm
      >
      > That's a good book online, but is there a good physical book available?

      stevo

      > 2013/2/26 MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...>
      >
      > > Does anyone know of a decent Middle Egyptian dictionary and grammar book
      > in
      > > Russian?
      > >
      > > stevo

    • Demian Terentev
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2013
        Well, the books in the list *are* originally physical books, but e.g.
        “Egyptian Language” was published in 1958, so I think, the most viable
        solution if you want a physical book would be downloading the pdfs and
        printing them out.

        2013/3/1 MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...>

        > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Demian Terentev <mnyonpa@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > http://www.egyptology.ru/petrovskij.htm
        > >
        > > That's a good book online, but is there a good physical book available?
        >
        > stevo
        >

        > > 2013/2/26 MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...>
        > >
        > > > Does anyone know of a decent Middle Egyptian dictionary and grammar
        > book
        > > in
        > > > Russian?
        > > >
        > > > stevo

      • MorphemeAddict
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2013
          On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Demian Terentev <mnyonpa@...> wrote:

          > Well, the books in the list *are* originally physical books, but e.g.
          > “Egyptian Language” was published in 1958, so I think, the most viable
          > solution if you want a physical book would be downloading the pdfs and
          > printing them out.
          >
          > Okay, I was hoping to avoid that route, but I may have to do it anyway.
          Thanks.

          stevo

          > 2013/3/1 MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...>
          >
          > > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Demian Terentev <mnyonpa@...>
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > > http://www.egyptology.ru/petrovskij.htm
          > > >
          > > > That's a good book online, but is there a good physical book available?
          > >
          > > stevo

          > > book
          > > > in

        • A. da Mek
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
            >> I think, the most viable
            >> solution if you want a physical book would be downloading the pdfs and
            >> printing them out.
            >
            > Okay, I was hoping to avoid that route, but I may have to do it anyway.

            I am not sure how it is in other parts of the universe and multiverse, but
            here an average sized book costs about 30 Ermines*) and a Kindle costs about
            250 Ermines; so for everyone who intends to read more than 8 books in his
            life it is cheeper to use the e-book. In the landscape mode, even the .pdf
            files are usually readable on the 800x600 px screen. I downloaded this
            Egyptian grammar and although the letters are small, they can be read
            clearly. (I bought Kindle when I wanted to read the Assyrinan dictionary
            http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/catalog/cad/ and
            http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/catalog/mad/

            *) I am used to express prices in Ermines, because these coins keep their
            inner value irrespective to the inflation. An Ermine is a coin which has 3
            1/2 inches in diameter and 4 troy ounces in weight, made of a Camembert type
            cheese. It received its name because of the similarity of its rind to the
            winter fur of a stoat.
          • George Corley
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
              On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM, A. da Mek <a.da_mek0@...> wrote:

              > I think, the most viable
              >>> solution if you want a physical book would be downloading the pdfs and
              >>> printing them out.
              >>>

              >> Okay, I was hoping to avoid that route, but I may have to do it anyway.
              >>

              > I am not sure how it is in other parts of the universe and multiverse, but
              > here an average sized book costs about 30 Ermines*) and a Kindle costs
              > about 250 Ermines; so for everyone who intends to read more than 8 books in
              > his life it is cheeper to use the e-book. In the landscape mode, even the
              > .pdf files are usually readable on the 800x600 px screen. I downloaded this
              > Egyptian grammar and although the letters are small, they can be read
              > clearly. (I bought Kindle when I wanted to read the Assyrinan dictionary
              > http://oi.uchicago.edu/**research/pubs/catalog/cad/<http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/catalog/cad/>and
              > http://oi.uchicago.edu/**research/pubs/catalog/mad/<http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/catalog/mad/>
              >
              > *) I am used to express prices in Ermines, because these coins keep their
              > inner value irrespective to the inflation. An Ermine is a coin which has 3
              > 1/2 inches in diameter and 4 troy ounces in weight, made of a Camembert
              > type cheese. It received its name because of the similarity of its rind to
              > the winter fur of a stoat.

              How much do the ebooks cost. Sadly, the facts of publishing right now are
              such that publishers vary in how they price ebooks. Some of them even
              price the ebook higher than the paperback, even though the ebook is
              probably cheaper to produce.
            • taliesin the storyteller
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                On 03/01/2013 06:56 PM, George Corley wrote:
                > How much do the ebooks cost. Sadly, the facts of publishing right now are
                > such that publishers vary in how they price ebooks. Some of them even
                > price the ebook higher than the paperback, even though the ebook is
                > probably cheaper to produce.

                I get the privilege of paying VAT on ebooks but not on paper books. So
                most ebooks are more expensive than most hardcovers. But then again,
                even an ebook only costs one fourth of what a paperbook bought locally
                written in my L1 does... I can't afford to read in my first language!

                <insert standard foam-flecked raging mega-rant about Norwegian
                publishers and "culture"-politicians>

                There: saved zillions of electrons.

                t.
              • George Corley
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                  On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM, taliesin the storyteller <
                  taliesin-conlang@...> wrote:

                  > On 03/01/2013 06:56 PM, George Corley wrote:
                  >
                  >> How much do the ebooks cost. Sadly, the facts of publishing right now are
                  >> such that publishers vary in how they price ebooks. Some of them even
                  >> price the ebook higher than the paperback, even though the ebook is
                  >> probably cheaper to produce.
                  >>

                  > I get the privilege of paying VAT on ebooks but not on paper books. So
                  > most ebooks are more expensive than most hardcovers. But then again, even
                  > an ebook only costs one fourth of what a paperbook bought locally written
                  > in my L1 does... I can't afford to read in my first language!
                  >
                  > <insert standard foam-flecked raging mega-rant about Norwegian publishers
                  > and "culture"-politicians>
                  >
                  > There: saved zillions of electrons.

                  That's kind of messed up. Does Norway have a big printing lobby or what?
                • taliesin the storyteller
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                    On 03/01/2013 10:19 PM, George Corley wrote:
                    > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM, taliesin the storyteller wrote:
                    >> On 03/01/2013 06:56 PM, George Corley wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> How much do the ebooks cost. Sadly, the facts of publishing right now are
                    >>> such that publishers vary in how they price ebooks. Some of them even
                    >>> price the ebook higher than the paperback, even though the ebook is
                    >>> probably cheaper to produce.
                    >>
                    >> I get the privilege of paying VAT on ebooks but not on paper books. So
                    >> most ebooks are more expensive than most hardcovers. But then again, even
                    >> an ebook only costs one fourth of what a paperbook bought locally written
                    >> in my L1 does... I can't afford to read in my first language!
                    >
                    > That's kind of messed up. Does Norway have a big printing lobby or what?

                    The publishers own the book clubs, the media (some tv-channels, some
                    newspapers), the printers and the book stores. And the politicians :)
                    They're currently pushing for a law that says they get to set and freeze
                    book prices, making law out of what have been custom.

                    t.
                  • And Rosta
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 3, 2013
                      A. da Mek, On 01/03/2013 08:34:
                      > I am not sure how it is in other parts of the universe and
                      > multiverse, but here an average sized book costs about 30 Ermines*)
                      > and a Kindle costs about 250 Ermines; so for everyone who intends to
                      > read more than 8 books in his life it is cheeper to use the e-book.
                      > In the landscape mode, even the .pdf files are usually readable on
                      > the 800x600 px screen. I downloaded this Egyptian grammar and
                      > although the letters are small, they can be read clearly. (I bought
                      > Kindle when I wanted to read the Assyrinan dictionary

                      Is it worth having (buying, toting around) a Kindle just as a pdf reader? Pdfs formatted for standard printed pages remain readable? On the Kindle I've seen, the text is formatted for a much smaller page size, more like what you'd expect from A6 or suchlike. My phone has a resolution of 480 x 800, which makes pdfs viewable only with pain and inconvenience. Are pdfs annotatable and are the annotations easy to export in a meaningful way (so that one can tell which part of the text they pertain to)? Is the onscreen keyboard (ABCDE rather than QWERTY in the pics I've seen) usable without pain?

                      How do others read and annotate pdfs? Me I skim stuff on the laptop, and for careful reading and annotation I print them out and write on them with a pen, and eventually lose many of them in piles of papers.

                      --And.
                    • Leonardo Castro
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 3, 2013
                        I would have already bought a Kindle if the Brazilian import taxes on
                        it didn't double its price.

                        Até mais!

                        Leonardo