Re: Why are there fewer female than male conlangers?

  • George Corley
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 22 6:32 AM
      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...>wrote:

      > BTW, I think there's another interesting sex-related fact to be
      > explained: there are activities that are more stereotypically
      > associated with girls than with boys, such as cooking, poetry and
      > songwriting, but more men than women seems to work on them
      > professionally. There are some people who says that testosterone
      > provides a more ambitious approach to those activities so that men are
      > more likely to take them seriously.

      Are poetry and songwriting considered feminine? I think I might think of
      poetry as somewhat feminine, but this has to be extremely culturally
      specific, as I know there were many historical cultures where women were
      not allowed to learn to read.
    • Jim Henry
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 22 3:50 PM
        On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM, DM <decadent.muffin@...> wrote:
        > subconscious, and it happens really early in life. There is a book called
        > Delusions of Gender by one Cordelia Fine about the process of gender
        > acquisition in young children, which I can't hope to summarize in full but
        > which everyone ought to read to further understand what I'm talking about.

        I'll second the recommendation. Ms. Fine reviews a number of
        pop-science books which have misrepresented and exaggerated the
        studies on neurological and behavioral differences between males and
        females, and also critiques some poorly-designed studies that don't
        really prove as much as their authors claim. In short, there are very
        few sex differences that are probably caused more by genetics and
        neurology than by culture.

        --
        Jim Henry
        http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/