Re: On Creating Altlangs

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 21, 2013
      On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>wrote:

> [...]
      > > > by humans like us, as opposed to something that absolutely
      > > > *could not* have so evolved.
      > >
      > > Of course.
      >
      > Yes. Some artlangs could never have so evolved. Of course, this
      > does not necessarily mean that the language was a bad artlang, if
      > the motivation is not one of realism. But an altlang or a lostlang
      > must be crafted in a way that one can say, "Yes, this language
      > could have evolved that way", otherwise it is a failure.
      >
      > > > My own Rhodrese is a case in point: it started out
      > > > decades ago as my 'ideal' mix between French and
      > > > Italian, which was certainly not realistic:
      > > I'm not sure what "ideal" means in that context.
      >
      > Nor am I. Ideal things live on a separate tier of existence
      > which in turn only exists in the mind of Platonists ;)
      >
      > > As this was a dialect _continuum_ from Sicily to Picardy, there
      > > was in reality a whole band of "mix between French and Italian"
      > > languages. Some may well still survive despite attempts of schools
      > > to impose the national languages of the two countries within their
      > > national borders.
      >
      > Yep. The dialects of northern Italy, I have been told, show
      > many features where they are closer to Gallo-Romance than to
      > Standard Italian.
      >
      > > essentially
      > >
      > > [snip]
      > >
      > > > An altlang without side-glances on what actually grew
      > > > up in the same soil is just an arbitrary a-posteriori
      > > > conlang of indeterminate plausibility, and one which
      > > > does make such side-glances runs the risk of becoming a
      > > > parody of the thing glanced at,
      > >
      > > It does run such a risk, if the side glances are not checked
      > > and kept in balance. As I've observed before, I think Brithenig
      > > paid undue attention to Welsh, including...
      >
      > It did.
      >
      > > > unless it is spiced up
      > > > with something which is probably implausible.
      > >
      > > ...the implausible (IMO) spelling of [v] as _f_ in a Romancelang.
      >
      > Yes. Romance spelling is largely etymological, and you'd only
      > get _f_ for /v/ if you have a /f/ > /v/ rule, which Brithenig
      > IMHO doesn't have. (Not that I'd have a clue how _f_ ended up
      > representing /v/ in Welsh, though.)
      >
      > > Implausibility may add spice, but then the thing passes from the
      > > altosphere into the artosphere.
      >
      > Certainly.
      >
      > > > Neither
      > > > is that much of an improvement over the bogolang unless
      > > > one keeps in mind that the main goal of conlanging is
      > > > aesthetic gratification and learning about Language,
      > >
      > > Is it? I agree with "learning about language", but is all
      > > conlanging about "aesthetic gratification"? Some auxlangers
      > > may want a result that is aesthetically pleasing, but I am not
      > > convinced that they all do. I'm not certain that aesthetics are
      > > a prime concern of engelangers.
      >
      > Head on. Aesthetic gratification is a goal in many (but not
      > all) artlangs; Tolkien's Elvish languages are a case in point.
      > It is less of a concern of engelangers (who strive for a more

      But elegance is a form of esthetics.

      stevo

      > or of auxlangers.
      >
      > > Aesthetic considerations certainly do not play any part in TAKE; it
      > > was just an experiment in trying to produce an "ancient Greek without
      > > inflexions." Nor I convinced that way back in the 17th century Dr
      > > Outis
      > > was concerned with aesthetics any more than his near contemporary
      > > Philippe
      > > Labbé was.
      >
      > Yep.
      >
      > > Ray.
      >
      > --
      > ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
      > "Bêsel asa Éam, a Éam atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Éamal." - SiM 1:1

    • Roman Rausch
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 22, 2013
        >All engelangs I've seen have some sort of 'aesthetic coherence', as does the Black Speech which Tolkien meant to reflect his idea of ugliness

        Does it really, though? He himself calls it "very different from Elvish, yet organized and expressive, as would be expected of a device of Sauron before his complete corruption" (PE17:11) which sounds quite positive.
        I would say that the negative connotations with the Black Speech in Middle-earth are cultural: It is, after all, the language of the great enemy who wants to destroy and enslave the known world. I also do not find it ugly: Phonetically it's well-balanced, you could do much better if you really wanted to make a language ugly - weird consonant clusters, an excess of a certain sound type, glottal stops in the unlikeliest of places to make you choke - you name it.
      • BPJ
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 22, 2013
          On 2013-02-22 13:16, Roman Rausch wrote:
          >> All engelangs I've seen have some sort of 'aesthetic coherence', as does the Black Speech which Tolkien meant to reflect his idea of ugliness
          >
          > Does it really, though? He himself calls it "very different from Elvish, yet organized and expressive, as would be expected of a device of Sauron before his complete corruption" (PE17:11) which sounds quite positive.
          > I would say that the negative connotations with the Black Speech in Middle-earth are cultural: It is, after all, the language of the great enemy who wants to destroy and enslave the known world. I also do not find it ugly: Phonetically it's well-balanced, you could do much better if you really wanted to make a language ugly - weird consonant clusters, an excess of a certain sound type, glottal stops in the unlikeliest of places to make you choke - you name it.

          I couldn't agree more, but look up his description of his
          intentions with BS -- in "Letters" I think, which I don't
          have at hand. My own Sohlob is definitely much more similar
          to BS than to the Eldarin languages, yet it has no 'evil'
          connotations within its setting at all -- as if a language
          could be inherently good or evil, which I don't think
          JRRT thought. He made a point of pointing out that Morgoth
          was a skilled omniglot too BTW!

          /bpj