Re: Why are there fewer female than male conlangers?

  • DM
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 21 1:58 PM
      Well, one could argue that a gender-typical male would show far less
      interest in conlanging than those of the list, although I may be influenced
      here by those males I know IRL.

      I wouldn't say that women "usually" want to marry and have kids. I'd
      venture to say that a good portion of women my age (college) are rather
      disinterested in the whole reproductive arrangement, as I am, and there are
      probably a lot more of us who conlang than even we ourselves know. As a
      group we just tend to be much less vocal.

      As for the comparative geekdom of males and females... I have a theory,
      which involves gender analysis and so should probably not be lightly placed
      on the public list. Would people like me to place it on the list, or ought
      I to move it to private correspondence?

    • Jim Henry
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 22 3:50 PM
        On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM, DM <decadent.muffin@...> wrote:
        > subconscious, and it happens really early in life. There is a book called
        > Delusions of Gender by one Cordelia Fine about the process of gender
        > acquisition in young children, which I can't hope to summarize in full but
        > which everyone ought to read to further understand what I'm talking about.

        I'll second the recommendation. Ms. Fine reviews a number of
        pop-science books which have misrepresented and exaggerated the
        studies on neurological and behavioral differences between males and
        females, and also critiques some poorly-designed studies that don't
        really prove as much as their authors claim. In short, there are very
        few sex differences that are probably caused more by genetics and
        neurology than by culture.

        --
        Jim Henry
        http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/