'bogolang'

  • And Rosta
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
      is the _bogo_ in _bogolang_ from _bogus_ or _bogof_ (buy one get one free) or something else? If _bogus_, what sense is meant? Something that looks real but is in fact false?

      --And.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
        Hallo conlangers!

        On Thursday 21 February 2013 18:03:13 And Rosta wrote:

        > is the _bogo_ in _bogolang_ from _bogus_ or _bogof_ (buy one get one free)
        > or something else? If _bogus_, what sense is meant? Something that looks
        > real but is in fact false?

        I think it is from _bogus_ in the sense of looking real but being
        false.

        --
        ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
      • Patrick Dunn
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
          That's what I assumed, and therefore do not like the term very much. It
          seems to imply an attempt to pass something off as something it's not.

          On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>wrote:

          > Hallo conlangers!
          >
          > On Thursday 21 February 2013 18:03:13 And Rosta wrote:
          >
          > > is the _bogo_ in _bogolang_ from _bogus_ or _bogof_ (buy one get one
          > free)
          > > or something else? If _bogus_, what sense is meant? Something that looks
          > > real but is in fact false?
          >
          > I think it is from _bogus_ in the sense of looking real but being
          > false.
          >
          > --
          > ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
          > "Bêsel asa Éam, a Éam atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Éamal." - SiM 1:1

          order from Finishing Line
          and
        • MorphemeAddict
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
            On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Patrick Dunn <pwdunn@...> wrote:

            > That's what I assumed, and therefore do not like the term very much. It
            > seems to imply an attempt to pass something off as something it's not.
            >
            > Ditto. Might as well call it "fakelang".

            stevo

            > On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...
            > >wrote:
            >
            > > Hallo conlangers!
            > >
            > > On Thursday 21 February 2013 18:03:13 And Rosta wrote:
            > >
            > > > is the _bogo_ in _bogolang_ from _bogus_ or _bogof_ (buy one get one
            > > free)
            > > > or something else? If _bogus_, what sense is meant? Something that
            > looks
            > > > real but is in fact false?
            > >
            > > I think it is from _bogus_ in the sense of looking real but being
            > > false.
            > >
            > > --
            > > ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
            > > http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/index.html
            > > "Bêsel asa Éam, a Éam atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Éamal." - SiM 1:1
            > >

            > --
            > Second Person, a chapbook of poetry by Patrick Dunn, is now available for
            > order from Finishing Line
            > Press<
            > http://www.finishinglinepress.com/NewReleasesandForthcomingTitles.htm>
            > and
            > Amazon<
            > http://www.amazon.com/Second-Person-Patrick-Dunn/dp/1599249065/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324342341&sr=8-2
            > >.

          • Leonardo Castro
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
              I didn't know the meaning of bogolang either, but I had no courage
              enough to ask...

              A thing that comes to mind is that a conlang that is aimed to be
              realistic should have a kind of controllable rate of things such as
              homonyms. But I have an impression that conlangers dislike homonyms,
              homophones, etc.

              Até mais!

              Leonardo

              2013/2/21 MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...>:
              > On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Patrick Dunn <pwdunn@...> wrote:
              >
              >> That's what I assumed, and therefore do not like the term very much. It
              >> seems to imply an attempt to pass something off as something it's not.
              >>
              >> Ditto. Might as well call it "fakelang".
              >
              > stevo
              >

              >> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...
              >> >wrote:
              >>
              >> > Hallo conlangers!

              >> > free)
              >> looks
              >> >
              >> > I think it is from _bogus_ in the sense of looking real but being
              >> > false.
              >> >
              >> > --
              >> > ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
              >> > http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/index.html
              >> > "Bêsel asa Éam, a Éam atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Éamal." - SiM 1:1
              >> >

              >> --
              >> Second Person, a chapbook of poetry by Patrick Dunn, is now available for
              >> order from Finishing Line
              >> Press<
              >> http://www.finishinglinepress.com/NewReleasesandForthcomingTitles.htm>
              >> and
              >> Amazon<
              >> http://www.amazon.com/Second-Person-Patrick-Dunn/dp/1599249065/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324342341&sr=8-2
              >> >.

            • Alex Fink
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
                As I said in the other thread, I think Geoff Eddy was the first to apply "bogus" to this sort of conlanging:
                http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/bricka/bogo_linguistics.html

                On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:15:21 -0300, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:

                >A thing that comes to mind is that a conlang that is aimed to be
                >realistic should have a kind of controllable rate of things such as
                >homonyms. But I have an impression that conlangers dislike homonyms,
                >homophones, etc.

                Oh man, do they ever. And it's not just the noobs! Mark Rosenfelder is big on this, for instance: there are remarks here and there in the LCC books about how to avoid homophones, taking for granted that this is a thing that you'll want to do. I remember being stricken by his avoidance when he released Uyseʔ <http://zompist.com/Uyse7.htm> -- in a lexicon that size, even with uniform sound distribution, there shoulda been a dozen or two pairs of homophones; but there were, IIRC, two, and they looked like mistakes given that they both involved a word that also was missorted alphabetically.

                Alex