Re: Koha

  • Anthony Miles
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
      --- On Tue, 2/12/13, Anthony Miles <mamercus88@...> wrote:

      On 2/6/2013 10:49 PM, Anthony Miles wrote:
      >> Koha is a German-derived language spoken on the Earth of the
      >> "Eis-Lehre-Welt (ELW)" cosm of the Polycosm, the equivalent of all
      >> the Pacific Ocean creoles on OTL's Earth. It started as an
      >> slow-burning experiment in late 2011 to see how much of German syntax
      >> could survive extreme simplification (most of it, as it turns out).

      >I like this; it looks vaguely Pacific at first glance, but you can see
      >the Germanic roots if you point them out. Interesting though that it
      >appears to have /o/ but no /u/. (I'd have expected "muka" for "mother".)

      Na mi me'a ka ku 'ena ka voka ho Koha Elopa hi he'a. (It pleases me [schmeckt, not passt gut] that you can see the words from [European] German.).

      RM That was my first impression too. Knowing a bit about Polynesian sound changes helped,....

      /u/ is a phoneme in Koha - the Tosa (pre-Koha) word for "mother" was 'ti muta'. Rule:
      u > o/_Ca#
      Note that /e/ does not exhibit this behavior.

      RM the u > o/ __Ca# is a common though sporadic change in Oceania. Also true of i > e /__Ca#. And to top it off, you can also have (sporadic again)
      a > o > __Cu# and a > e/__Ci#. Makes cognate-hunting a tricky operation :-)))

      The vocabulary of Koha is a bit small, but it was used as a contact language, so KISS applies.

      RM I found it interesting and rather amusing. Years ago, another conlanger and I tried to devise a Latin-Polynesian language (based on the idea of a lost Roman trading vessel), but it didn't get very far..... Polynesian sound changes
      produced way too many homonyms from the Latin.

      AM:
      I remember that conlang. It looked like fun. There was a lively discussion about the diachronics of 'porcus'.
      Originally, I was going to have other rules besides u>0/_Ca#, includig i>e/C_# but too many words ended up /CaCa/. Which might be fun if I had planned to expose Koha to a Semitic verbal system (not in the ELW, however; that's for German stuff), but I wanted to keep the experiment simple. I realized early on that the small vocabulary would be a problem; Koha speakers solve those ambiguities with adjectives. The singular form is usally the one that survives in Koha, unless the signular form is really, really short (/mena/ not /ma/).

      For those who are curious, Tosa had three cases, but massive confusion between the default cases of a Philippine language and default cases of Tosa led to the disappearance of case altogether.

      Avikahea! (Aufwiedersehen!)